Astra 1.9 CDTi

Which is a very narrow-minded view when you're talking about everyday cars.

I really couldn't care which end is driven when I'm popping out to the shops or going to work.

Hmmmmm, the VW has a respectable image and looks fine, especially when it's so much cheaper than so-called 'premium' badges.

Something that is, as yet, unknown with reference to the 159 and the C-Class. But diesel 156s held their value and didn't break.

Reply to
SteveH

A4 2.0 170ps SE £23675 C220Cdi SE £25107

£1432. Not at least a couple of grand. And the A4 is end of line, the new one is likely to be dearer, there's no prices for the 170ps 2.0TD yet but:

New A4 2.0TDI 143PS £23940 New A4 2.7TDI Auto 190ps £28440 New A4 3.0TDi 240ps manual £30290+1450 for auto

C200CDI Se 136hp £24107 C220TDI SE170hp £25107 C320CDI Elegance 3.0V6 Auto 224hp £31612

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

that's cos your a cheapskate! i'd rather spend the cash on a nearly new (would never buy new rip off!) Merc than a nearly new or brand new Mondeo!

i prefere the looks as well as the way the BM and Merc's drive. and the BM's

3 litre diesel is the one i'd go for diesel wise over a lot of other cars! if it's petrol then i'd love a V6 or V8 Merc! lovely noise! i'd consider a lot of cars before picking Ford, VW or Vauxhall really. when your going for nearly new say 3 years or so old the price difference becomes a lot less!

All new cars are a rip, prices are just silly when you see what the thing has lost you in just a year! and especially cheaper makes such as kia and chevrolet!

Reply to
Vamp

£22,740, actually.

So that's £2367, before options.

I'll pass judgement when the new A4 is officially released with an official price list.

That's not to say that the Audi is worth the cash, either.

Reply to
SteveH

That lot makes little sense if you think about the traditional arguments over depreciation - which, in theory, would make the price difference even greater.

It's also not taking into account the discounts you can get - which are virtually nil on a BMW, Mercedes or Audi.

In reality, RWD vs FWD for an everyday car is just down to c*ck waving.

Well, yes, but lease rates are based on new, list prices, so it's the only valid comparison in this marketplace. Hardly anyone buys a new car with their own cash.

Reply to
SteveH

Official price list and brochure here

click on price and specification guide

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Same for track cars - Seat / Vauxhall are leading BMW in the BTCC....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's entirely artificial, though - given that RWD get a weight penalty thrown at them.

Plus, BTCC cars are totally re-engineered, so it's not a valid road-car comparison.

Reply to
SteveH

Interestingly over-priced for what you get.

Hard to make true comparisons, 'cos Audi quote OTR prices, Mercedes list price, without OTR costs. Not much in it, and I'd say the C-Class is better value than an A4, but they're all overpriced for what you get.

Reply to
SteveH

Merc prices I've quoted are OTR.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And presumably run them over before they even know you're there. Just what the world needs.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Why don't you drive a Kia then? Why doesn't everyone?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

If you have a need for such 'capabilities', perhaps best you hand yourself in right now.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I've driven them whilst still relatively current models.

Yet another reason to avoid - the options on a C to bring it to Passat SEL spec were close on £2k alone.

Given that the 2.4JTDm has 30bhp more and costs less, it's no contest.

Reply to
SteveH

because no one is that stupid, well maybe steve, if they had a STD he would probably :)

Reply to
Vamp

I'm going to look at the Chrysler Sebring next time - lots of car for sod-all cash.

Have a feeling that the inside is worse than a MkIII Mondeo, though.

Reply to
SteveH

It's the best car its size I've ever driven. Forget the IS, forget the Passat. Definitely forget the current A4.

Only the current 3 runs it close, and I've not driven a sport spec C class yet.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's in the class - I'm not talking about the best in class, I'm talking about better than anything else I've ever driven, for it to be worth the kind of premium that buys a couple of toys as well as the everyday car.

Most of the people in my company who would qualify for a C-class, still drive a Passat, 'cos they can get one loaded up with DSG and the 170bhp engine plus have the difference in lease costs added to their salary.

Reply to
SteveH

would that be convertible? after the BM i'm torn to either going back to jap tat or trying a nice mustang :)

Reply to
Vamp

No, it's a 4-door saloon.

Looks the bollocks, but the photos of the interior scream cheap to me.

Mind you, you do get leather and all sorts of other 'options' as standard. The only thing that is missing from my 'wish list' is a slushomatic box.

Reply to
SteveH