At last...

I'm back in business:

:D

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Now either you have a 4gas and crytpton machine or a good ear cos that sounds just set up nice!

Only thing- shame about the roasting hot air feed- thats gotta cost you 20hp or more on a slow moving run.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

I haven't touched the carbs at all, just bolted them on to the car. I bought them off a friend who had them on a standard 3.5 V8 and I knew they run spot on, which is one of the reasons I got them. But it's MoT time in a few weeks, so we'll see if they're set up well enough to get through that!!

I'll be doing something about that once the MoT is sorted. I'm considering using the old air filter elbows to mount the K&Ns over the 'V' rather than over the exhausts, and/or possibly wrapping the manifolds. But for the time being I don't intend on moving slowly ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I've got this vision of these carbs bolted onto the bootlid as some sort of surreal post-modern spoiler.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

What about just making an intake tube system bolted to the carbs and one mahoosive filter out front in the cold (or twin not quite so mahoosive)?

Reply to
Elder

Yeah that may be doable. Good thinking Batman!

TBH I could just put the old air box on there with it's high flow air filters. I think I'll be doing some expeirmenting over the summer.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Just convert it to injection. Wuss.

Reply to
Pete M

Pah, injection is for girls. What i really want is a 4 barrel. Or the turbo kit floating about on retro rides :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Turbo *and* injection then.

4 barrels are ok, but don't work too well in long corners...
Reply to
Pete M

4xWeber DCOE's with rampipes
Reply to
Abo

Glad this came up as I forgot I was going to put in some cold air ducting in the Capper.

Reply to
Conor

That's OK..it's a SD1. They don't do cornering very well anyway.

Reply to
Conor

That would be pretty cool. Isn't that what some of the TR8 factory rally cars ran?

Anyway, done a lot of driving in the car today in 28 degrees of sunshine. Started loosing a bit of top end power this afternoon, which I thought might be caused by the filters sucking in too much hot air. But I filled it up this morning (£70 - ouch!) with normal unleaded so decided to plonk some lead replacement additive stuff in it too. After that it did seem a bit better. Might have to start putting super unleaded in it too to see how that helps. My fuel bills gonna get huge!

But all in all I was immpressed with how it drove today. Seems to have more power than I remember which is good, but might just be due to driving a revvy little 106 for the last few months. I forogtten how great the noise is at full chat though. And it's nice to have people making positive comments about your car. I love my SD1 :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Bike carb conversion. Saw a TR8 in Boggs with a set on. 8 Yammy R1 bike carbs in two rows of four on custom manifolds. Seriously impressive sight.

Reply to
Conor

What he said, and do something about the exhaust.....

Reply to
Geoff

I saw a SD1 about 15 years ago in Darlington with side pipes on. It was lowered, painted black with a dark purple metalflake and had a 4.2 in it.

Reply to
Abo

You're wrong. They do corner quite well, and the Vitesse with it's modified suspension is excellent. Better than many later cars I've driven, including the 528i E39 I'm driving at present. In the early 80's the TWR developed Vitesse was dominant in the BSCC championships. Pretty good for a car, that according to you "didn't do cornering very well" Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

There is no way to compare a street suspension to a race suspension when it comes to evaluating its performance or the roadholding of the car for that matter.

For what "excellent suspension" goes: things evolved somewhat since the launch of the SD1, suspension (and tires) are some of those things.

Was the AR155 Silverstone (also dominant in BTCC) a better road car for it? Nope and the same logic -for similar reasons- is valid for the Rover. The worst (and ill-spec'd) roadcar can become a very to excellent racer: lack of chassis (in the road version) proves often an advantage for the chassisdesigner because the nude chassis weighs less (and the roll cage does the job of the chassis).

It is no secret that *all* Ford Cosworth works circuitracers did not use the offical "Cosworth"-spec chassis with its re-inforced suspension points: they used the 1.3 and 1.6 GL-chassis which was about 15 kg lighter. Rollcage and pickup-points on it distributed the forces far better that the roadgoing cosworth chassis while keeping a weight advantage.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

My opinion is not just based on track performance. It's primarily based on personal experience, having owned a 1985 Vitesse since

1988.

AIUI the BSCC homolgation rules did not allow the sort of modifications allowed on BTCC cars. BSCC cars had to be basically production cars. Hence the the requirement to produce at least

500? for sale to the public. Hence the suspension on the Vitesse, as sold to the public, was basically the same as that used on the race cars.

AIUI homolgation is the only reason why twin plenum versions were made. It was a modification made to improve the power output of the race engines, making little difference on the roadgoing version.

Apart from being lower with stiffer springs, shocks etc, the suspension also had less compliant polyurathane bushings. Not forgetting the rear spoiler and front air dam which actually do add to the package, as compared to many of those on cars today which are often aded for cosmetic purposes only.

I understand the point you're making though about BTCC cars. Although they might look like road cars, that's about as far it goes. Under the outer shell very little of a std road car remains. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Mine doesn't corner too bad, but it's got uprated suspension.

I think the 106 would probably run rings round it, well in the dry at least. But thats not what it's all about

Reply to
Carl Gibbs