Avon ZZ3 tyres, just fitted 4

Avon ZZ3 235/50/17 Fitted on my vans 17x9 rims. They are HUGE and actually measure 250 wide. Look excellent!

I know trye sizes are nominal but this is rediculous!

Anyway, are they any good? Will fit wheels back on tommorow.

In the meantime the almost new looking 7 year old 225/45/17s are still for sale to good home cheap!

Reply to
Burgerman

that's WIDE!

Reply to
Vamp

Yep... Hope nothing hits. Its something to do with them being 50 series rather than 45. As the profile goes up narrower rims are needed. but I just bunged em on my 9 inch wide rims. Amazingly the recommended size rim is about 1 inch smaller for a

235/50 than for a 245/45 Anyway if nothing touches they look great!
Reply to
Burgerman

Avons aren't bad. I had some on the last Saab (ZV1), fronts lasted about a year/12k miles, rears were like new.

New 2 for the new Saab soonish, and a roof. Don't know whether to get a set of 4 Colway CM3's and a new roof, or a pair of something decent, a roof, and get leaky tyre refitted and valved (although it is a real cheapy that Abbott racing supplied with the wheels to the last owner Lassa something or other).

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Haven't tried them myself, but the good folks at the alfa156.net forum are a bit sceptical:

Espen

Reply to
Espen B. Olsen

You've a memory like a goldfish! See you next time I'm in the GY

Reply to
fishman

My memory is a bit soaked in vodka mostly...

But you dont know where I live. (or do you???)

Anyway 3 off. one to go!

Reply to
Burgerman

"Espen B. Olsen" wrote in message news:436028e2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.broadpark.no...

Sounds very strange. They are rated for up to 186mph. Fitted as stock to Astons... Have used avon race tyres before (hello andrew wheeler!) in extremely adverse and ott circumstances! Mainly on drag / road bikes though. I only chose them because of the high load rating (its a heavy van!) after all...

Reply to
Burgerman

I had 4 defective Avon's a couple of years back (the sidewalls all deformed as described in less than a year) in fairness to Avon they took them back and gave a refund on the remaining tread.

Reply to
Depresion

OK removed 4 cheapish 225/45/17 but decent tyres from vans alloys. They were only about 1 percent worn! Replaced them with 235/50/17 Avon becaquse I wanted a better ride (taller sidewalls) and some rim protection. Ever seen 225 tyres on 9 inch rims? Wheels abour half inch wider than the tyre. Anyway the avons should have been slightly wider, taller and "bigger" altogether. Actually they look better on a van the the 45 series ones and fill the arches better.

OK fitted and tested.. They are much smoother on uneven surfaces, allow a little bit more bodyroll, massively quieter on all roads, and actually allow more braking g's and cornering g's tested with my electronic dashboard g meter. But only about 5 percent more. Pretty unimportant on the road. When you get to the limit they are still quiet, no squeeling etc, then suddenly let go if you go too far. Its easy to find the point of max g on a roundabout. The other tyres (ventus plus) let go slowly and mushyly (if thats a word) so finding the ideal amount of slip when braking, or circling the same roundabout faster and faster was harder... Not sure what this means though. Partly because the old tyres were actually very old (7 years! but unworn).

As far as feel and feedback are concerned then its an unfair comparison. Two different profiles! The 45 series rubber felt more like a go cart and very direct. The new ones (50 series) are nicer, less harsh, quieter, less direct and less feel. But thats exactly what was to be expected!

Anyway they were tested up to 125 and still round! Nothing deformed or disintegrated!

Reply to
Burgerman

Just off bargate...

Probably be along the weekend of the 19th or 26th Nov.

Reply to
fishman

OK make it afternoon!

Reply to