Bargain, surely?

Coming from the man who thinks TR7s are worth a few quid..

I'd say a very well sorted Metro could be worth more, but I'm not convinced this one falls into very well sorted. A bit played with yes, very sorted, no.

Worries me when someone thinks that's a selling point.

How many cars are really worth more than the sum of the parts? Or even the same as the parts? Unless you get the parts cheap and do all the work yourself, and consider your labour to cost nothing as it's a hobby or something?

Reply to
Stuffed

Overall I don't think it's that bad, to be honest. I just don't like having shiny crap and white dials (cause we all know those bits make it so much faster, improve economy, etc) and blue paint on the brakes as a selling point! And I still say with that much extra power, throwing a few quid at the brakes might have made it more appealing to those wanting a nippy car than some polished knobs and blue door pins (whatever the hell they are!).

It's all down to taste though, I suppose.. And most people who buy filler cap trims and anything with DTM written on it tend not to have any, IMO ;p

Reply to
Stuffed

There's a big difference between a TR7 and a Metro.

TR7s are pretty rare these days, and are a pretty cast-iron investment as a classic car. V8 conversions, if properly done, even moreso. You obviously know little about the classic car scene.

A Metro is a little shopping trolley, and will be consigned to history as (yet another) medeocre BL design just like many others before it.

Reply to
SteveH

its all down to personal preference like you say... and some of it was already done before I bought the car.. I was going to convert the metro GTa that I had, but this came up for sale already done the brakes are uprated and ok upto 150bhp I also own a V8 range rover and getting next a mgbgt V8 roadster to play with

Reply to
Daz and Lynda

Is that a roadster with a V8 conversion or a GT with the roof chopped off?

Reply to
Depresion

Now that would be a spectacularly bad idea. (the GT with the roof chopped off)

Reply to
SteveH

V8 conversion I guess.. :) Its that or a Mk2 escort

Reply to
Daz and Lynda

I did see one in Spain or Portugal a few years back, looked like a boat for some reason.

Reply to
Depresion

I'm with Pete on this one - Metro GTis *are* a fun car to drive.

That said, two and a half grand for one *is* taking the piss :) You might well get it, but it's certainly not worth it as an assembled item.

Reply to
Lordy

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun to drive - any supermini with large amounts of power is fun to drive. But it's still a Metro, ffs!

*ding*

Metro = worth it's weight as scrap, no more, no less.

Just read the whole auction again - there's a case of misrepresentation in claiming the mileage is 30k miles, given that the actual car has done

100k plus miles. The drivetrain / engine is probably the least critical part of the car in terms of wear and tear (drivetrains / engines are easily fixed / swapped), but the shell has had 100k miles and 12 years of stresses placed on it, so will be far from the condition of a 30k shell.

Also worth noting is the MOT only having 4 months to run - if there's any hope of getting over £2k for that car, it'll need 12 month's ticket on it - or is there a reason that makes this impossible?

Reply to
SteveH

would mot it if needed. Straight through the last 4. Most of the mechanical bits on the car were new when engine conversion was done. Its been a show car for the metro club for some time now and is the metropower car so been kept very well.

a big part of the £2500 was the install. I am only selling because I need too.. not because I want too.. so I am/was( see tmw morning) prepared to wait for as near to asking price as possible.

Anyway.. what was this post about before it became all about abusing my poor car... ??

Lynda

Reply to
Daz and Lynda

I think someone was trying to punt out some overpriced tat to the group ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

I can't really see the point in some posters revaluing a car for you. The price it is worth, will tend to be what it sells for. I don't want a Metro so I wouldn't give you much for it, especially with the way it is mostly about go faster things like flashing door knobs and titanium gear stick. There again, you'd be mad to sell it to me for what I'd pay. I'd see it worth less than a regular engined Metro, but a damn sight more fun. TTWTMF.

Still think it shouldn't be listed at 30,000 miles, that gives some muppet the idea of weaseling out of paying after a bid-fest of silly money. All too common on eBay.

Best of luck finding a buyer, either way.

Reply to
Sales!

Ignore him, hes a d*****ad who thinks Escorts are good.

Reply to
Dan405

Don't make me Google reference and tell the story again :)

Reply to
Dan405

To quote just about anyone in this sort of argument - "It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it" After seeing what else there is for £500 at 12 years old in my free ads paper, I wouldn't touch a metro with yours, but that doesnt mean a metro with some extras - whatever they are isn't worth £500, £1000 or £2500 to someone.

Whereas you obviously do. Know everything. About everything. (c:

I am reasonably tall and have found ALL metros I've ever been in pretty damned uncomfortable, along with the steering wheel not being in line with the pedals OR the seat making for weird aches and pains after 5 miles or so, but the ride and grip were pretty good ISTR, especially for a car conceived - I dunno when - the late 70's?. The Metro's uncomfortableness I found to be rivalled by some of its contemporaries like the Vauxhall Nova, so its a runner in the cheerful but rusty and irritatingly small motorised transport stakes.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was mediocre. I think when it was released it had a fair bit going for it compared to its peers. Hydrospastic suspension and the novelty of some important bits of it held together with glue (with mixed success if what I hear is to be believed).

Anyway, I reckon Metros were a good idea at the time, they just went on largely unchanged for a bit too long. MINI could have been the new Metro if there had been some sort of development - ANY sort of development.

£2500 is a lot for any metro but I have seen the classifieds in the back of Alfa enthusiast magazines and some people who are right into their Alfas really do seem to take the piss asking what is sometimes a *lot* of money for what is clearly some shitbox 80's rust heap.

What would you ask for your 75 SteveH, if you were to sell it now before it disintegrates? (c;

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

That's the most genuinely hilarious thing I have read all night.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes. One is desired by sad bastards who work at McDonalds, the other is a very under rated 2 seater with a fair but asthmatic engine putting out a mere 110hp usually through a 4 speed box (although later many got the lt77, but that was after the Speke works had ruined the cars rep) into a live axle. TR7 drop tops can get some money, but the hard top is only just coming out of that "can't give them away" period.

I suggest you take a look at my driveway before making fuckwitted comments like that.

Todays classics were yesterdays bangers, and the day before's every day car. I'm not saying the Metro (certainly in K series form) will ever be a cherished classic, but I wonder how many people thought the Minor, Allegro, Maxi, 1100/1300, Riley Elf, etc would one day be sought after and regarded as classics by various people?

Not that I think a 12 year old Metro with prat parts is worth 2 and a half grand, but it's not as worthless as you make out.

Reply to
Stuffed

Nope, that was me with my Fiesta van :-)

The post I started the thread with was a TD Golf on eBay with a starting price of ten million quid!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

what I find hilarious is all these people with nothing better to do than take the piss out of someone else's car... no wonder the police get an easy time getting the upper hand over modified cars

Reply to
Daz and Lynda