Big money for a Ford

Should have bought one in the 80's when Group B was banned and Ford had a fistfull to get rid of.

Reply to
Conor

I know somebody who bought a Ferrari TR back in 1989 as an investment.

The car -it has now genuine 500 km on the clock- is for sale a third he paid for and nobody is interested. We 'll leave de depreciation of money, the Ferrari maintenance bill each 4 years (and believe me : they are hefty), the cost of the space in an airconditioned garage out of the equation.

There are cars which can be seen as an investment, just as much as there can be diamonds in a bucket of stones.

As to the concerned RS200: highly doubtfull it is a diamond. He may propose it for 100.000 UKP but it isn't sold yett and seeing the surroundings of the car it is far from certain that is actually what he claims it to be. I highly doubt if Ebay in Europe has allready that ring of quality to sell that kind of car.

For about half the price a Ford certified RS200 (ex Droogmans) rallye car can be had. Of course that car has "only" 510 HP but then how real are his 650 horses? In fact: how real is his car?

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Agreed. NO one is gonna buy that, except for possibly a very, very wealthy Ford nut - and I'm not certain they exist heh. And even then, would they pay £100k for one...

Top Gear last night showed the affect age and marketing can have on bhp - although be it with a rolling road with zero air fans...

Reply to
Iridium

That RS200 was originally LHD and was for sale in Canada where it never sold. It was returned to the UK and bought by someone in 1991 who also had a RHD RS200, he then had the interiors swapped over to make the newly registered RS200 RHD and his original one LHD.

Do you mean this one, which it £50k more than the eBay one?

Homer

seen one round my way a few times only in the summer time mind and in the dry.

Reply to
Vamp

That lack of fans worried me a bit but its not my car. Also no mention of whether that was power at the wheels, which would most likely account for the descrepancy, or predicted flywheel bhp. I don't know if the US cars are still quoting gross engine power either or the more practical net power with all the ancillaries fitted.

Reply to
David Billington

I could be totally wrong about this, but ISTR that there was a kit-car/reshell kit of the RS200 (based on RST?) I dunno if there were actually any more of those sold than the original car, but the owners are probably more likely to take them on the road..

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Even worse than that. A Maestro IIRC.

Reply to
Doki

Hehe. Hehehe. Excellent...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

There have been several replicas, the best was probably the KaRa based on a space frame chassis with a Sierra Cosworth engine using RWD only. Then there was Banham who chopped the roof of a Maestro and dropped a RS200 body on top. There's someone on eBay now who will build you one using an Imprezza as the base.

Homer

There was a kit for them based on the Austin/Rover Maestro including the turbo. Of course it was front engined and wrong end drive. But the body panels also fitted the original I think. Was a Banham kit, but Banham has now gone bye bye, after selling it's names, moulds, and plans to two companies (same stuff at the same time and leaving them to sort out the legal aspect of who owned what) and folding with unfilled but paid for orders.

Reply to
Elder

Interesting. Cheers for that.

Reply to