Anyone running Ford power?

Hey Everyone, Right now the Scrambler is using an AMC 360, backed by a 727 and Dana 300. I like it, but the 3-speed is killing me on gas. A friend of mine recently trashed his Mustang. It has a fuel-injected 5.0 stroked to 347 and a T-5. I love the thought of EFI on the Jeep for wheeling puposes. It would also help with the now-present emissions laws here in PA. I'm no stranger to the Mustang scene, been wrenching on them for 10 years, i have a 5 liter stuffed in my 2wd Ranger. If i can get the entire car for a decent price obviously i can get all the harnesses, computer, etc. But what Ford trannys and t-cases were used in trucks? I know the AOD's in the late 80's early 90's can be built to take power, but are they 4X4 friendly? Something with overdrive would be great. RIght now i get about 4 mpg on the highway.

Thanks for the advice, Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish

I recently helped a gent finish a 5.0/T5/D300 swap into his CJ7.

The mustang uses the same Borg Warner T-5 that Jeep uses. 5th gear 'is' overdrive.

The clutch fork is a puller rather than a pusher like in the Jeep bell housing. The mechanics were lost trying to fit a cable clutch linkage in it. I just took the stock CJ mechanical linkage and moved the pusher arm on the bell crank up to the top to make it a puller. Add a piece of threaded rod for the link and away he went.

The thing goes good.

Mike

Mike Romain