Car computer

Right peeps, i have a 12inch laptop screen spare, does anyone know how to convert it to vga at all?

--

Kind Regards
Cheater

Easy tiger! Dont want you getting too excited and making a mess!

shit i think my car is having an influence! :)

ROFLMAO!!!

This may sound dumb, but could you not leave it connected to it's parent processor unit, and just extend the existing internal wires to wherever you want the screen in the car?
I think converting to VGA is a complicated process.
The Dervboy
Nope, because the laptop is dead, but the screen is good :)
--

Kind Regards
Cheater

Depends on the screen. Most of them (ISTR especially dells) don't use real cables. They use flat laminated plastic sheet, with the wires replaced by strips of copper embedded into the laminated layers. Very thin, very fiddly, impossible to solder.
Even if you are lucky to get a screen with normal wires, you then have issues with shielding. One of the guys on the MP3car.com forums tried this. Took 3 weeks of working with the rest of us to get a working screen (he only extended it about 8-12"). he had to solder, insulate, sheield with metal foil, and insulate again, every cable at each join.
Then he had to replicate the twists of the original wiring harness, and insulate, shield and insulate again, each of the pairs as they were in the original.
Eventually it worked, but the signal wasn't as strong, and he ended up with some response delays in the image that weren't there before, plus it wasn't as bright.

Complicated to get the right bits, but when you have them, a damned site easier, it is plug and play compared to soldering.
EarthLCD, HeroElec, Miles Electronics can all provide the parts, but it ain't cheap.
But the laptop is dead, so option B is the only one for him.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

AFAIK it's not possible, as the video driver in the laptop runs the screen directly using whatever protocol the manufacturer chose. It's non-trivial to try and work round that and convert to VGA.
You'll need to get on ebay and find yourself a 12" VGA TFT monitor. They seem to only be about fifty quid.
Steve.
Its off a dell laptop
--

Kind Regards
Cheater

In that case, contact EarthLCD, and quote them the part number. ISTR that Dell use a lot of Goldstar, Sharp, and some Panasonics in their laptops. Most likely it uses a weird cable, because apart from the inspiron 7*00 models (I haven't worked on one for about 5 years) they all used onboard video, the 7*00 models used a seperate ATI Rage mobility card, but they all needed a Hi-Rose type cable. If you contact EarthLCD and quote the make, and part number they can probably sort you out with a suitable controller/cable kit.
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

screen
non-trivial
They
Here speaketh the ex-dell technician, ever had to work on an LS? 'Kin orrible things LOL Gimme a CPX anyday, sooo easy to fix.
Matt

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

And here speaketh the ex Celestica employee who worked on the Dell Europe laptop repair line contract. :)
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)
spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I feel your pain LOL still look on the bright side, you could have ended up in an Ink Fish call centre doing phone support for Time/Tiny!! (No I never did but 4 years ago it was bloody close ;-) )
On a side point what were Celestica like? Their bidding on a support contract for a branch of my work.

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Inkfish were one of the clients I dealt with when I was doing ISP setup for Telinco.
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

It bain't dead. Had a corrupted hibernate file. Once I got it back on a proper VGA monitor, all was fine, just need to rebuild the hibernate file.
Probably won't bother as it is going into my Desktop PC soon any way.
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

Mount the HDD vertically. That way the head will swing, up and down, not into the platters.
Laptop HDDs last even better. If you can find a recent Laptop that includes a touchscreen (some fujitsu ones do), with a good quality FM modulator, or a head unit with liine in, or a CD changer control with a line in adaptor, run windows on it with a copy of Audiosoft eJukebox http://www.audiosoft.net . Fantastic program, but needs 80ox600 min to work properly. But it does databasing of songs, and album art if you have it.
Another great program is MediaEngine http://www.mediaengine.org / Does MP3 and Movies (files and DVDs) and can launch external apps such as SatNav stuff.
If you are looking for hardware, try http://www.linitx.com I got an Epia Nehmiah board, 512meg ram, a cheap CDRom drive to install from, and a 1U 150watt miniATX PSU for 249.88 including all shipping and VAT. Just need to find a seriosuly tasty sized HDD below the Epia 160gig HDD limit and I'm away.
Next time I re-install, I plan to use either Media engine, or 4AM music console http://www.overnighttech.com/products/4amMusic_overview.html . Should work well as a touch screen app.
I'm currently hunting down old Datalux screen to use in the car.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Disable hibernate. Reanable hibernate.
Problem solved - this deletes, and then recreates, the file :)
spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Why did I never get anything like that? When I did some work at Celestica, all that they would let me near was broken National Lottery terminals :-(
Andy
snipped-for-privacy@durham.ac.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Which depot were you at? I was at the Biley (can't remeber how it was spelt)/Middlewich depot at the old Airfield.
We had HP printers, HP Laptops, Fujitsu Laptops and PC's. I was recruited as an agency temp specifically for the new contract they got. Everyone except the managers was a temp.
I think Stoke had the board level repairs, because it was the old ICL Fujitsu plant.
Don't know about the other locations, never got to hear about them.
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)