computer modification

Hey all.

this is my first post. I am by no means a car fanatic nor do I modify cars as a hobby.

I've heard of people connecting a computer to a car and then flashing the PROM on the car to gain performance and so on.

I was wondering what programs are available that would allow such mods? given you have the cable and computer. Also, where do I get the new "image" that should be written to the chip.

thanks. Danny

Reply to
Daniel Hamekasi

uh huh.

plenty - if you write them.

superchips, AmD ( VAG & Porsche ), numerous other chip tuning companies.

Reply to
Mark Craft

Wouldn't it need to be EEPROM? As PROM is a WORM device like a CD-R and once written to can not be changed, any car maker sending out there cars with blank PROM chips for the ECU are not going to get far.

Reply to
Depresion

WHAT AN IDIOT. What do you think the P stands for? An EEPROM is simply one type of PROM, i.e Electrically Erasable. Ones that used to be erased by subjecting them to UV were called EPROMs, yet another type of PROM.

PROM is a generic term for a category of IC which is programmable.

Reply to
Conor

PROM is the specific term for a signally programmable. EEPROM and EPROM are not still PROM. Truckers!

Reply to
Depresion

I bet I wouldn't have passed my degree refering to EEPROM chips as PROM.

Reply to
Ferret

Who's got the qualification in Electronics Engineering? Mines a HND, want to tell me what yours is?

Reply to
Conor

Of course you wouldn't.

Reply to
Conor

This is not a job for the inexperienced. I wouldn't attempt it unless I had a spare ECU in case I killed the original one. The method varies depending on the age and manufacturer. On older vehicles you may need to dismantle the ECU and extract the chip.

There are really only two practical ways if you want to self-tune. They are;

  1. Fit carbs and a mechanical dizzy
  2. Fit a competition ECU which you can easily adjust with it's own software and a laptop (expensive).

In either case you'll need a rolling road to get it set up properly. Cheapest option is to sell your car and buy a more powerful one if you really want extra power.

The Dervboy

Reply to
DervBoy