cav SRi 16v

I'm looking at buying an M reg Cav Sri with 130K on the clock. Any problems with these motors I should know about? It has the 136bhp ecotek motor rather than the 'full fat' GSI lump...

Reply to
chris

Rust, rust and more rust. If you can't see any now, I can guarantee that the rear arches will fall apart the next time you wash it!

Other than that, all I can really think about is the same as for any other high-mileage used car: brake and suspension components will be nearing the end of their life (unless already replaced), check for evidence of oil-changes and find out when the cambelt was last changed.

It would have to be seriously cheap (like £500 or so) for me to even think about it.

Reply to
SteveH

I think after 130k, you can safely say the brakes will have been replaced - probably more than once :)

Reply to
Nom

Wouldn't that be the same for anything non italian though.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The 'Italian' bit is surplus to requirements ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Well, yes, but I was thinking of the more expensive problems like brake lines and sticky calipers.

A simple discs and pads change can turn into something much more time consuming and expensive at that kind of mileage.

Reply to
SteveH

Anything 'italian' is "surplus to requirements".

Reply to
Lordy

well it's 495, and seems in remarkbly good nick for the year, no rust.

It's just the mileage that puts me off, I'm used to old saabs that cover high mileage with ease, but have no experience of cavs...

Reply to
chris

Sounds pretty good for the money - especially once you've taken off a bit of haggling :-)

At that kind of money, who cares? - so long as it has 12 months ticket, you've more than likely got at least 12 months of motoring for the cost of a couple of months finance payments on something newer.

If it fails it's MOT / breaks down expensively in 12 months you just bin it and buy another.

Reply to
SteveH

Fair point.

Reply to
Nom

ROFL

Reply to
Nom

Seconded. If you're buying a £500 car, then you shouldn't be too concerened with it's lifespan. If you get two trouble-free years from it, then you're doing very well !

Reply to
Nom

Works for me..... however, I've just spent (or will have done by this time tomorrow) the best part of £300 on a clutch, full service and transmission oil change on the 75..... my mechanic reckons it's a good one, so it _should_ last longer.

Total spending so far:

Car: £600 Pair of Pirelli P6000s: £150 Clutch & Service (aprox): £250

Not so cheap now, but, there's no reason why it won't last 2-3 years before any further major expense now..... and 75 are very much worth spending money on, IMHO.

However, it's still cheap enough to bin if I have to.

Reply to
SteveH