Cheapo MAFs

...don't buy 'em.

I bought my Boss' passat TDi 115BHp (woo, yeah, exciting..) for a song back before new year, 'cos it wasn't running particularly well - wierd throttle response, lacking power. He reckoned it was fooked, but I thought it was probably a duff MAF, so I got a cheapy one off ebay for a few quid to try - there was a huge improvement, so I was chuffed and drove it for a few '000 miles. There was still a slight hesitancy at part throttle and economy wasn't *great* (~42mpg), but I put it down to my driving style and it having been remapped. Last week, on a whim, I rang the local motor factor to see how much a proper Bosch MAF sensor would be (£60 exchange), so I got one and fitted it. Throttle response is much more linear, the hesitancy is gone, sooting is much reduced and on a few hundred mile hoon around the lowlands of scotland with bike rack and full load I got ~50mpg. I'm pretty chuffed. Of course it's still a B5 passat, so not the most dynamic thing you'll ever find, but the point is don't bother saving £25 by getting a cheapo ebay MAF - I'd have made up the difference in about 3 tankfuls...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

You may find that car has a N75 valve, change that also, I think the TDI had one, it's like a T piece, put a new one in and the car will drive much better, if it's got one :)

Reply to
Ronny

Yes - absolutely. It's certainly true of Saabs too...

Reply to
DervMan

Cheers dude. N75 = Boost control valve? I'll have a look at that. I've no complaints about the way it goes now anyway, with a proper MAF and a remap it pulls well and revs pretty freely (for a diesel, obviously).

Reply to
Albert T Cone

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net, Albert T Cone wittered on forthwith;

Devastatingly awesome cross country weapon, that.

Reply to
Pete M

How much awe does it take to devastate someone, anyway? And is it measure in grams? Or litres?

Reply to
conkersack

Not a lot -

Megatons :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Well, yeah, obviously. I had great fun trying to keep up with an integra type R going up one of the roads near Sutton Bank. *Huge* amounts of lurching and understeer, plus an unusually quiet gf for quite a few minutes afterwards. I reckon the guy in the integra was devastated by the awesomeness of it all, although I can't be sure 'cos after about 45 seconds I lost sight of him.

On a slightly related note, it turns out that the handling can be made much more interesting by letting the rear tyres down to about 18psi..

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Blimey, they must be really wanting to create awe with them fancy fireworks!

Reply to
conkersack

That's the power of efficient German awe.

Overawed, obviously.

Well, what do you expect? He had 103 inches of awesomeness on his tail (fnar).

This could go on.

Reply to
conkersack

That's the power of efficient German awe.

Overawed, obviously.

Well, what do you expect? He had 103 inches of awesomeness on his tail (fnar).

This could go on.

Reply to
conkersack

Nah, measured in Hamers ;-)

Reply to
Pete M

Has done for years, will hopefully continue to do so for many more. Bit like German Awe-inspiring machinery.

Reply to
Pete M

Awesome dude!

Reply to
conkersack

Try the 2L 16v they pull to over 6K! There's a nice one making well over

300bhp on the SeatCupra.net forums. Admittedly it has a bit of help from the gases.
Reply to
Depresion