Low tone whistle 2000 150 4.2

Anyone ever get a low and loud whistle coming from the engine bay. Only happens after a restart and under light load around 2500 rpm (any speed). The alternator seems to be OK, although there is a light clicking in the rear bearing area, it doesn't seem to be doing the constant whir of a bad alt. I've read something about the IAC giving a low whistling sound if it gets dirty? This just started since the weather started getting cooler so I haven't got much more to go on yet. Used an automotive stethoscope and probe but no luck getting it to do it at the time. Any ideas or experience in the group?

Reply to
FeelingGoofy

Ken Engle

I've sensed I'm down 10 or so HP since this started. Runs a bit rough at idle for the first 10 minutes after re-startup as well - the original start-up and idle are good. It hasn't done it for 2 days now however the last time I said that it came back the next time I drove it.. It's a weird sound and blowing across a beer bottle is a fairly close description. Was your sound constant or did it go away as the truck got to normal temperature? Does the MAF cause it to do it every time the truck is running or intermittently? Thanks for your input, I'll check the MAF when I get some time off next weekend if possible.

Reply to
FeelingGoofy

It only takes a few minutes if you have a "security torx" driver. You could grind a slot across the top of the screws with a dremel tho.

I took one apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner, my son had used up all my carb cleaner and didin't know it. :/ Anyway, I thought I had it clean but wanted a closer look for the fun of it. I use an eye-piece out of binoculars (fipped around and used backwards) for looking at stuff up close. That sucker was still dirty as anything, both "wires"!

Sure enough made my girl friend's car run better after cleaning. :) '96 T-Bird.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

I've got my dremmel ready to place a few slots in the security screws, the only thing is, my cheapy service manual for my truck points to the MAF on the 4.2 where it ISN"T . I know where it "has" to be so will go from there. Thanks for your input guys!

Reply to
FeelingGoofy

Reply to
Ken Engle