Clarkson Kills a Toyota Prius

Yep. And most air marshals use frangible ammo like glasers.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Well, yeah. Hardly anyone uses slugs round here. Shot would be very dependant on range. Get point blank and you'll blast a massive hole through. A hundred yards or so and it's looking a lot less likely that you're going to be mangling anyone inside.

Reply to
Doki

Forget it: the skin of a airplane is stressed. It won't explode but a crack will develop. Depending on how stressed the concerned section and the kind of the hole, that crack will go rather quicky. Try to get into a air museum work shop or a aircraft breaking yard and get an idea of the thickness of airplane skins.

I am now in flight training for light aircrafts, the books tell that life is measured in seconds if the canopy fails at 30.000 ft. There is the loss of pressure, there is the cold.

Finally: a jet airliner went down (ran out of fuel) when crew and passenger passed out due to a failure in the pressurering system. Greek company iirc.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Same thing happened to Payne Stewart in his Learjet a few years ago.

Homer

It becomes OT but then who cares ? :-)

The 5.56 Nato round is designed as an attack caliber and instable bullet. It starts to tumble en is near its melting point in flight. This is also the reason why the accuracy is limited to about 200 m, bad penetration etc.

Power and capacity is equal to .222 Remington (hunting cartridge for birds, varmint ) while the civil code for the 5.56 Nato is .223Remington. 1500 J barrel exit power iirc, very soft to shoot.

The formet Nato bullet, .308 Winchester or 7.62 is by far superior to the 5.56 but it departs from another filosophy. Me I like to carry an M16 or FNC with 1000 rounds instead of FAL and 1000 rounds... At the shooting range however the FAL wipes the floor with the newer remplacements.

Bullets, how they behave and what they are designed for, is very interesting be it in some morbid way. I like the technical side as I like also to use the right bullet for the right application.

Most of all I like to be at the good side of a rifle. I definitely hate being shot at. :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Yep, same fate.

It is hostile environnement above 20000 ft (which is the max allowed ceiling for light aircraft). The higher you go, the thinner the air gets, so you can fly faster with less fuel (but a turbo'd engine becomes needed).

Just imagine what the last breed of Spitfire-pilots (went also up to

40.000 ft) have endured. 2000 Hp-powered supercharged machinery with the size of a Cessna going about 3-4 times as high and 3-4 times as fast.

Then they were out there, waiting for battle...

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

i find guns quite interesting, ok so i pretty much proved i know f*ck all about them. well sort of. i was almost right it's not hard to go through car bodywork with the right weapon and ammo. shame you can have f*ck all guns over here. couple of shot guns and a hunting rifle bout your lot. what i also think is gay is that if you have any motoring convictions you can't have a gun licence! but you can get a gun licence on a clean licence and then get a motoring conviction? makes errr sense in a labour goverment way i guess.

Reply to
Vamp

only if it was an alfa or lancia maybe? :)

Reply to
Vamp

ah but is there anything that'll break a volvo? i doubt it :)

Reply to
Vamp

No no, not with the right weapon /ammo but with any weapon/ammo.

If you have a strong arm and a bow, it will punch through. Will destroy your arrow however.

Yeah, that's why you have politicians. They don't like guns and me thinks they have very good reasons for that.

:)

Not in Belgium (yett) , prove is me :-)

Sorry, your lot had a stroke of luck with Maggie. Can't be lucky all the time.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Saw a thing on discovery channel where a jet blew out the front window and it sucked the captain out of the plane. The co -pilot hung on to his feet and they managed to land with him outside the plane. The poor bugger had hypothermia and bad freeze burns but survived. It must of been a one in a billion thing.

Same thing happened here a couple of years ago. Loss of cabin pressure and everyone passed out. Plane kept going until it ran out of fuel and crashed. Terrible.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Hell you can poke your finger through a rusty old wop box.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

They've got a funny way of going about it though. Harder for any normal person to have a gun, but more and more criminals seem to have and use them. Of course, it's much easier to pick up normal people than it is criminals.

I'm not sure Vamp is 100% on this. You have to list all convictions on your application for a gun licence (and a shotgun and a gun licence are different things) - it's fairly easy to get a shotgun licence, but if you want a HVR, it's a lot more difficult. I suspect you can get away with speeding tickets...

Reply to
Doki

Even the US visa waiver thing lets you get away with speeding tickets.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

In countries where politicians fear their countrymen guns are outlawed on the pretext that guns support crime. Switserland, Finland, the US prove the contrary.

Here the claim is that the State, the Police will protect you from harm. I have my doubts. As a certified pistol instructor I take practical weapon exams from people who want to obtain guns, sometimes we see policemen.

A free advice: if a policeman draw his gun, drop to the ground but NOT behind him because there is a big chance that's where his bullet will hit. We have the ceiling of the underground shooting range as proof.

In Belgium law has just toughened up a lot. Official reasons are allready mentionned.

Guncrime however is rising spectacular because criminals obtain guns very easily and are met wih close to no resistance. East Europe is littered with cheap guns be it hand held guns or assault rifles. In Poland, Roumania etc you can buy a AK-47 with 1000 rounds of ammo for about 50 UKP. The abscence of border controle and Poland -Brussels being in a car about 16 Hr away...

Crimes with registered -legal- weapons do not make sense as the bullets are -in theory- tracable and carry the unique print of the gun they were fired from. Every registered legal gun in Belgium is supposed to be testfired and catalogued in a State-controled lab.

So -again in theory- commiting crime with those guns is like leaving your ID on the spot.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor