Classic Car hire.. straw poll.

You jest. The cars need to be reliable and not an instant disappointment when you get into them.

Reply to
John Redman

"Pete M" wrote

Another one: Volvo P1800. All those 30 to 40 somethings will have grown up watching Roger Moore in the Saint, and good ones are very reasonable to buy. I don't know about maintenance tho'.

Reply to
John Redman

That's fighting talk...

Reply to
Dan Drake

"Stuffed" wrote

While we're on the subject of ugly - Karmann Ghia?

Reply to
John Redman

Type 3 Razoredge or Type 1?

Reminded me, too.

If you're going to have an E-Type, be nice and fun. Get a damaged 2+2 and make a replica of the car from Harold & Maude. I'd rent that every Whitby weekend - assuming someone didn't beat me to it.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Always wanted one of those too. They're always definately out of my budget :(

Reply to
Stuffed
[...]

Jensen Interceptor/FF Audi Quattro TR6 This:

Alistair J Murray

Fabulous. I concur.

Reply to
Letharge

Nice, one for the anoraks, though.

Rag-top V12 is what most punters would want.

Definitely.

Aye. Can't have a classic hire business without one.

Only let it out in the dry, 'cos it'll be pranged in the wet.

Tacky heap of s**te, not anything special, IMHO.

Definitely.

Not convinced.

No. You can buy one for £2k, so why hire?

Turbo R.

It's a given, really. Make it a V8, though.

Aren't they a bit too precious?

Megabusa. YKIMS.

More likely, a 1.3 Kent to avoid repair bills.

None of the above, not even the 308/328 which is one of my all time favourites.

Something big, bad and American with a huge V8.

Nice original Alfa Spider Duetto. For the people on an MG budget that have some sort of taste ;-)

1750 GTV. Not expensive, but a bit of a holy grail.

Someone else said Jenson Interceptor, and I'll go with that.

Reply to
SteveH
[...]

It'd go out at least one other time too :)

Alistair J Murray

That's Louise, is it?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pete M" saying something like:

Damn!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Heh, a Windsor Green 390GT Fastback is definately on the list..

That's the other bloke who's involved.. He likes them.

Ho yuss..

Nah, they're not worth it really. I could get a nice MGB for about £6000, an RV8 is more like 12k and not as likely to get the beards.

It's just I know where there's a cheap one :-)

Ah, we've already got two stretch Towncars, a stretch Caddy Fleetwood and a Ford Excursion stretch..

Yup, on the list

I love these, so on the list

Too unreliable.

Probably have to be a Griffith to start with.

On the list

Possible

Very possible

Also very possible

Looking more likely

Ta

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Chet decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

On the "possibles" list..

£6-7k for a nice one I should think
Reply to
Pete M

Al, I've told you once.. bugger... it's on the "maybe"

Reply to
Pete M

Sounds like an twist on the idea I posted a while ago.

go for it mate.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

How about a Classic Gangster S-Type 3.4 or 3.8, similar enough to the old inspector morse MK2, but different enough to be special. Plus they are a little bit cheaper to find too, but a lot rarer, as most ended up donating their IRS to the hot-rodding community.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Banks europa, Southport. Not replica, but rebuilt, modified/modernised and improved, but loyal to the Lotus brand.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

how about me :)

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Good for a million miles, and maybe a million more.

Tim S Kemp