Confused.com

Has anyone else thought while watching those adverts that if every person featured were taken outside the studio, made to kneel down and then had a 9mm fired at the back of their head from point blank that it would be for the best?

They could charge their families for the bullet.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you're going to neck shoot them like that you only need a .22lr, now thats value. :-)

james

Reply to
jamesd1974

Pfft. Bolt gun and a compressor. No consumables costs.

Reply to
PCPaul

reading newsgroup postings

away from their computer

Reply to
Mark W

S'natural evolution innit - first we have the command line, then the GUI, then the gui gets more and more mouse-ified.

OTOH aren't there environments where mousing is the easiest way to navigate?

I'm seen as something of a weirdo (no, don't stop reading there :-) ) at work for using command line tools a lot. But then I'm also seen as the person to come to if you want an answer to a problem. I reckon these are linked. And a lot of GUIs are very bad for data entry - people with the (shit) job of typing in loads of forms don't want to be mousing at all. Our ERP vendor has finally noticed that - after trying to get everybody onto their flashy website interface, they're now going back to providing a faster keyboard-friendly one for those sorts of people. Pity it took them so long...

Reply to
Clive George

One doesn't imply the other.

I prefer to use a decent GUI. For the record, Windows is not, never has been and on the showing of Windows 7 never will be "a decent GUI". That said there are tasks for which a CLI excels. If I want to delete every file named ".DS_Store" in a directory tree it will be a pain to do so from a GUI. OTOH if I want to draw a circle it's a pain to do that from a CLI.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Always the way.

I'm a trained typist and basically lazy so learn the keyboard shortcuts for applications as a matter of course. The number of people who express disbelief at how quickly one can do the basics (open, save, save as, print, close) documents using Microsoft Word just with the keyboard, rather than the farting about with mousey, clicking here, there and everywhere else. Oh and the annoying "so you press tab and hold down ALT, no that's doesn't work

*click* there the mouse did it." Lazy as in taking the hand off the keyboard to reach for the mouse is hard work.

Actually also as an impressionable teenager, the lady tutor in the touch typing class used to slap my knuckles when I dared move a hand off the keyboard. Hmm *thinks*.

Reply to
DervMan

It's a security feature. Spy progs can capture what you do on the keyboard

- but a click of a mouse wouldn't mean anything afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. You are aware that you're talking about a truly crap GUI and shoddy interface design (Windows) don't you?

Reply to
Steve Firth

The emphasis was more on the application rather than the operating system and I use Windows far more than anything else at the moment so I get by with it just fine. Getting by and it being good are of course very different things, but the net result is that I use Windows at work and at home so there's a certain comfort. As to it being truly crap, nah I disagree. True crapness in Windows comes when you push the operating system onto a PDA.

And I daresay, neither Windows nor Apple comes close to my two favourite graphical user interfaces - Workbench on the Amiga and classic PalmOS, both from a or more ago.

Oh, heh; Newton.

I still remember how novel it was to have a right mouse button. ;-)

Reply to
DervMan

As opposed to Linux, the OS that can't even manage font rendering consistency between applications?

Reply to
Conor

Do you think that the GUI of Word has nothing to do with Windows? Word actually works better on the Mac than it does on Windows because the GUI is better. Sadly MS can't resist porting Windows baggage to MacOS so it's far from an example of the best integration with MacOS.

You're wrong.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Who mentioned Linux, other than you?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Either or really. I just use it rather than worry about it... ;-)

Although sales figures would suggest otherwise, this could be the start of a very long discussion as different people look for different things in user interfaces. And I really can't be doing with debating the differences between operating systems as ultimately it's the underlying applications that interest me.

Reply to
DervMan

What other OS is there for PCs other than some Unix and BSD derivatives?

Reply to
Conor

Not really, selling well doesn't mean something is good. Besides very few people actually buy Windows as a conscious purchase, they buy a computer and it has Windows.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Who confined the discussion to PCs, other than you?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Do you know how many "some" is?

Reply to
Elder

...and far, far fewer buy the Mac's OS... :-p

Reply to
DervMan

Doesn't that depend on the definition?

Reply to