Confused.com

Could be worse. You could put the request in for Linux. You'll either get told to "f*ck off and read the manual you dumbass Winblow$ user",

1000 suggestion which don't work or it'll get completely ignored.
Reply to
Conor

I don't see how you can be so naive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A thousand suggestions which don't work sounds like an issue an old boss had with XP. MS was giving just about everyone with the problem a different way to resolve it, but they didn't work. Eventually someone other than MS tracked the problem to MS themselves as they'd released an update which included a component which it didn't register so breaking updated parts of the MS management console that required it.

Reply to
David Billington

My mistake - I had intended to type "office on the mac"

Me, at least sometimes, because it loads more quickly, loads docs more quickly, doesn't convert metafiles to a bizarre tiff format, has better keyboard shortcuts, doesn't suck CPU when it's not doing anything and is more responsive. All this applies to Office 2004, which runs under Rosetta. Office 2008 is, I think, universal, so may compare more favourably, but it's such a steaming pile of goats intestines that I avoid it and anything written in it.

FWIW, I see all these problems as being with the MS implementation of office on the mac, not with the mac or the OS.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yes, indeed.

*shrug* That is my experience of it. At least some of the effects are readily quantifiable, should you be interested.
Reply to
Albert T Cone

When are you going to actually prove to me that the demand for Windows on netbooks was lead by Microsoft?

I can, however, produce countless news stories of manufacturers releasing Windows drivers at the request of consumers MONTHS before they released netbooks with Windows on and also returning them purely because of the OS that was installed.

So go on then, prove to me how Microsoft forced Windows onto netbooks in the light of the aforementioned. All you've done is bluster like a COLA and Apple Fanboi apologist.

Reply to
Conor

At least it got fixed. Took *nix 25 years to fix a Unix bug which followed onto BSD and Linux.

Reply to
Conor

Steve Firth is an Apple Fanboi. Don't bother wasting your time. According to him, Microsoft pushed Linux out of the netbook market by using underhand tactics. According to him, Microsoft bullied the public into requesting Windows drivers for the Eee-901 and also returning them to the shops because they didn't like Linux.

Reply to
Conor

I think you'll find that the Alfa Romeos of old were absolutely hideously expensive. ISTR reading that some of the Alfa sports cars were dearer than the E-type. I suspect it was more a case of them becoming cheaper than the quality improving that led to them being driven by reps.

Reply to
Doki

I'm a fan of Apple stuff too; I regularly use both OSX and XP, and the list of gripes I have with OSX is tiny compared to that I have with XP. My disagreement with him is minor and only relates to MS implementation of office on the mac.

As far as it goes, I think SteveF was saying that MS applied pressure to

*the manufacturer* of the netbook (i.e. ASUS); basically threatening to remove the preferential bulk-purchase license deal if they didn't offer to ship with XP - i.e. that it wasn't customer demand which caused them to start offering XP, but financial pressure from MS. I have no idea if it is true, but it sounds similar to the type of thing I have heard of them doing previously, so I wouldn't be terribly shocked.
Reply to
Albert T Cone

I'm running Office in a VM and native on my MBP. I can't see any signs of it being "less responsive", and the version of Office I have isn't running native on the Mac because I really don't want the latest version which is s**te.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Conor is a well known ballet dancer. That's as true as the bollocks he's just posted.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Are you very naive? I wouldn't be at all surprised if MS put pressure on netbook manufacturers to start shipping machines with Windows installed. I also expect that a lot of users went back to PC World screaming "WTF STFU FOAD" when they realised they had a machine they couldn't immediately understand. I expect a lot of users simply wanted to run MS office (however, having seen the size of a 10" netbook in the flesh, they must be bonkers).

MS has a major advantage in the consumer market at the moment simply because Windows is a product people know and can get along with. Netbooks running Linux would provide a foot in the door for other operating systems - IMO it would be a viable option for low cost home machines, and prove that the average kid doing their geography homework doesn't need Vista, MS Office, 4 gigs of ram, Norton and the constant effort required to keep a Windows machine working etc. MS would be daft not to take any opportunity to prevent that happening, and would most likely supply XP licences very cheaply. OTOH I can never see Linux making a serious impact on the business desktop market simply because it would drive users up the wall. I for one am used to Word's idiosyncracies and I've no intention to mess around learning how to format things in OpenOffice, particularly not when I'm in a hurry.

Reply to
Doki

More bluster with no facts from Steve....

Reply to
Conor

The timeline is there for all to see.

Also, the pressure on the manufacturers had nothing to do with the massive amount of Linux netbooks being returned purely because of the OS installed on them.

Explain that, Steve.

Reply to
Conor

But it isn't more responsive, is it?

Reply to
Conor

Coming from someone whose posts have been all bluster, that's most amusing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And means doodly-squat.

Inappropriate use of the term "massive" - the returns were 4x higher than for Windows. But that's not "massive".

MSI already have, most buyers returning a netbook didn't read the advertising or even look at the computer before buying they assumed it had Windows because "all computers have Windows". When they found that the computers had a brown desktop and not a telly-tubby one they returned the computers unused. Most didn't even try to use Linux.

MS "leveraged" this effect to get their OS installed as default.

What it shows is that people are stupid and incapable of learning.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And they do. The Government has announced that government suppliers must propose Open Source solutions first and proprietary ones next. MS is currently bending over backwards to put pressure on Architects and Business Analysts to favour MS solutions over Open Source ones and to pimp imaginary "advantanges" over solid performance.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It also isn't more pink, more hairy or more lime-flavoured.

Reply to
Steve Firth