Correct seating position

Google is not helping me, so I would like to ask if anyone knows any good web sites which show the correct was to adjust the seat to get a good driving position?

Also, has anyone come across any diagrams which show the difference between driving positions for ordinary cars and sports cars.

(I mean a sports car made for ordinary roads, not for a track).

Reply to
Dannie

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Dannie, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

There was a feature on this hundreds of years ago by John Miles.

I don't remember all of it, but the general gyst seemed to be this; fingers stretched you should be able to rest them on the top of the wheel comfortably, reach the buttons on the dash and the lever etc. The seat should be close enough so you can put your foot on the toeboard behind the pedals without jumping off the seat to do so and the seat backrest should not be insanely reclined - the more upright you sit the quicker you sense direction changes or something.

I sit somewhere between the above and a lazy slouch if possible :-)

Reply to
Pete M

Here you go...

\_ \

\___

Correct is whatever works for you although if you have the seat reclined too much you'll get rounded shoulders/neck and if it's too far forward you'll get dodgey hips.

Reply to
adder1969

Dannie (Dannie ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Comfortable and able to easily operate all major controls.

Reply to
Adrian

Here you go...

\_ \

\___

Correct is whatever works for you although if you have the seat reclined too much you'll get rounded shoulders/neck and if it's too far forward you'll get dodgey hips.

I set mine so I can push the clutch down comfortably to the floor with my leg still bent - not stretching. You should be able to also rest your wrists on top of the steering wheel with your arms still slightly bent. Check that you can reach 1st gear without straining also.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Some cars - the Honda Accord being one, I just cannot get comfortable in. Must be too many years being hunched up in a 2CV...

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

It depends on the particular driver and the car of course, but this is what I do (and I have longish arms and legs):

Adjust seat base forward/back so that you can push the clutch (and other pedals) fully in without straining, but knees don't hit anything when letting them fully out.

Adjust seat-back so that you can to grab the top of the steering wheel with both hands, elbows only slightly bent and not locked straight, all gearstick positions should be comfortable.

Adjust seat height (if possible) so that eye level is underneath the rear view mirror (if you're tall) and over the top of the steering wheel (if you're small) If the height does not adjust then you may need to adjust the seat-back, etc again to find a compromise.

This method usually works for me in sports or normal cars, but many sports cars are just damned uncomfortable for tall people! Sometimes steering wheel spacers can help if you have long legs and/or short arms.

HTH Z

Reply to
Zimmy

That's pretty much word for word what I was going to type from a Defensive Driving manual I just dug out....

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

What Mike P and Zimmy said. The other major difference is that the seats in a sports car will generally be mounted lower down in the car.

Reply to
Doki

I read an article in CCC by Art Markus, who I think was South African.

Anyway, his theory was the you set the seat so your legs are comfortable then adjust for your arms. With the seat back in your chosen position and both shoulder blades in contact with the seat, an outstretched arm should be able to touch the top of the steering wheel with the wrist. This allows your arm to be slightly bent in normal driving.

It seems to work too.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Ditto.