Courtesy Ka

I have mostly been driving a Ford Ka since the crash that resulted in the demise of the Swift.

I was rather disappointed to see it when the driver dropped it off at my house but I've got to say it's pretty good to drive around town and on B-roads.

Nippy engine with plenty of torque low down and quite fun go-kart handling and very lift-off sideways (well even a slight reduction in pressure on the accelerator makes the back end twitchy). What has caught me out a couple of times is the steering's reluctance to self-centre. You have to put the wheels back straight yourself! The gearshift is pretty good, though all Fords I've driven have had a pretty good gearshift. It somehow feels a bit van like to swap cogs though. Brakes feel quite nice but not quite as nice as Clio brakes, which are my all-time favourite brakes (once you get used to the initial sharpness).

It's got absolutely no poke above 60mph though and there is no central locking, no rev counter and it has keep-fit windows! On an 06 plate car I find this staggering!

A peek under the bonnet reveals an entirely plastic rocker cover and inlet manifold. Christ on a bike! But it does have ABS.

Overall I can understand why Dervy likes them and I was surprised by the pleasant driving experience as the passenger experience in a KA is piss-poor IME.

I'm bored of it now though, I never got bored of the Swift (RIP)

Reply to
fishman

They use the old Ford engines designed years upon years ago that were fitted to very old Fiestas - you're letting yourself in for a world of troubles if you actually bought one!

Yeah my friend, budget is budget. Some have no floors either, makes running easier mind you.

Reply to
Taylor

From late 2002, the Ka has used the 1.3 Duratec-8v, which is a different piece of kit.

And... there are no material problems with the 1.3 Endura-E, providing it's serviced properly...

Reply to
DervMan

Try more budget stuff then...? :)

Yes, but passengers are freeloaders! :)

I borrowed a friend's 2001 Ka in Scotland last week. Immediately noticed how strange it was compared to the Saab. Or t'other way around. Beautifully responsive chassis and after a while I didn't miss it having half the power. Honest.

Needs more power. But then I can't think of much that doesn't! :)

Reply to
DervMan