Crikey

I've just pulled a lump of rust about 2mm long by 1/2mm wide out of my eye. I thought I'd got an eyelash in it or something.

I wonder if I left it long enough whether I'd have gone blind or produced a pearl.

The moral of the story is this: never leave your safety glasses out where overspray can get at them.

Reply to
Doki

You were spraying something with rust?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I feel I must quote Norm at this point.....

Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these - safety glasses.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

It goes rusty and it starts to hurt when you blink, you then need to go to casualty and be talked to as if you're a brain-damaged 6 yr old, then have it removed by a spotty-faced "Health Professional" with a big bloody needle.

I love angle grinding me !

Reply to
Tony Bond

Safety glasses wouldn't really have helped me when I was holding a bit of bent iron in my hand while drilling a hole in it with a pillar drill...

...luckily it only managed one complete spin before clunking into the ball of my thumb. Still aches a week later though.

Never mind safety glasses, I need common sense glasses, me.

Reply to
PC Paul

It would start to itch and you would weep when looking in sunlight.

Well I did :)

I hope it is all out.

Had something similar with a spark from an angle grinder some years back: of course the glasses were in the box but it was too much trouble to put them on just to cut that little rod.

Two days later at the doctor... he put me in a machine that held my head and took the bit of iron out with a what looked like pliers.I felt them and I passed out, unable to control it. Came back to earth a minute or so later, soaking wet from sweat and icecold.

Did I tell I am very afraid of medical people wearing white clothes? Needles too give me the willies.

If I cut something now, I take the glasses. :)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Nope. I was spraying the car months ago and the safety glasses were left out. Today I was fiddling around under the cross member and rusty s**te was falling in my face...

Reply to
Doki

Aye. I'm a big fan of wearing safety glasses when wearing power tools. However, I still managed to get rusty s**te in my face when I was wearing them yesterday. Gravity has its ways when you're lying below a piece of VAG's finest rusty torsion beam.

Reply to
Doki

A mate of mine was doing something similar years back, with a flat (and sharp...) piece of metal. It spun round on the drill and slashed his front open. Good job it was winter and he had a t-shirt, wooly jumper and overalls on, it made it through the wooly jumper...

Reply to
Abo

The ironic part was that I had the handle of a decent 2-axis machine vice poking me in the stomach while I was doing it...

After I switched to using that it all seemed much easier. And safer. It only took a few seconds longer too.

My favourite safety gadget:

Reply to
PC Paul

Pikey, Pikey, Pikey, Pikey, Pikey, Pikey, Pikey, Pikey, Pikey, Pikey.

Sorry, came over a bit SteveH then.

Reply to
Elder

Awesome!