Custom made car parts (metal milling)

Does anybody know any company in UK (London area) that can make one- off parts, I am looking for someone to make a couple of pulleys - water pump, maybe supercharger and crank shaft - to specification.

Reply to
GArlington

It sounds like the sort of job that can be done with basic machinery. A lathe, milling machine, drill etc.

Have a look in Yellow Pages for a small engineering Co. By small I mean one with less than half a dozen employees. What used to be called a 'jobbing shop'

Chances are larger Co's won't be interested in what sounds like quite a small job. I know one or two shops that might be interested in giving you a quote in the Horsham, W Sussex area. If you're interested email me, making the obvious change to my email address Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

This is well within the remit of any decent enginneering company..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

There is a co. in Chichester that'd do this type of thing in steel, but you'd have to draw it properly. Can you draw it and email me a copy in a file openable by Visio??

Reply to
Brad Thrust

One option might be to contact a local model engineering society and see if any members take on jobs of that sort. I have certainly done parts like that for people I know but I am not near London and have far to many other things on at the moment.

Reply to
David Billington

I wanted to make it in aluminium or light alloy, do you think it may be a problem? I have prepared a drawing [in bmp format] that I sent to few engineering companies that I found via Google, one of the companies replied that they are trying to help me [subcontract], so I assumed that the drawing was reasonably descriptive and readable. Do you know if the co in Chichester will be able to make it in alloy or aluminium? Thanks

Reply to
GArlington

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Reply to
GArlington

Not many, if any at all, want to do anything with one-off though...

Reply to
GArlington

Send me a copy of the drg. I've no doubt I know of a Co that could be interested. I might be interested myself. Depends on how much work is involved, and how soon you want them. Just alter my email address from largefoot to bigfoot. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It would help if you learn more about the material you want then part made in, from reading your other posts you mention light alloy or aluminium. In common usage this is basically one and the same thing and if I were to do a one off in aluminium it would be from 6000 series alloy as that is readily available is many sizes as round bar to machine the part from.

Reply to
David Billington