DELL is definitely a SELL.

Agree that Dell computers aint what they used to be...... OK....then which is the BEST PC on the market???????? Forget the price......

tia......Ed

Reply to
·EMD

The sad news is that because of Dell, now all the brand names are using cheap parts to build their computers. If you want to the best PC, you have to build yourself.

Reply to
·Ar Q

No such thing as a "best" PC. There is such a thing as quality and price / performance. It is pointless to spend bucks for compute and or video processing power if you have no need and your idea of speed is waiting for hotmail or some ads loaded site to splash and dance.

PC's are and have been commodity products for many years. It is a volume, low margin business. I think people buy Dell because of their service reputation.

Are they now trying the retail route or company store now? IBM and then Gateway tried it and failed because they do not know that business.

arthur

Reply to
·Arthur

Many local computer stores operated by small biz owners now sell (or resell) DELL computers. I saw a lot of independent ads on newspaper and TV lately. That is why I said we couldn't trust Dell's revenue number.

Reply to
·Ar Q

Not necessary to do it yourself. I had my last two built with the best components, and was happy with the results. Around these parts, there are lots of folks who do this - full and part time.

Reply to
·Jerry L Wilcox

Finally made up my mind and pulled the trigger. Short DELL this morning at $39.20.

I would like to do it at $40 but it seems that DELL has run out of steam.

Reply to
·Ar Q

Well in la la land the little PC shops sell white box systems pre spec'ed and priced or however you want it from their line of parts. Want a branded system go to BestBuy, Frys, CC, etc chain.

What you say does not tell us if they are selling direct to retailers or to wholesalers. Either way, they have to discount to these other channels but then they might not sell the box otherwise from their site as many people do not want to have to ship return a smoked machine. IOW how should they compete with HPQ and eMachines?

The MS Blue Screen is not dependent on PC brand and most folks know that by now.

arthur

-- >

. . support SPAM - fools use real email addresses in public forums.

Reply to
·Arthur