Didn't he do well.

yeah he drives a s**te car though, i mean a merc GL behave. i'd go for an E55AMG for pimp-ness :) still shit hot lap though in the wet 3rd from top! i wanna know who the stig is though.

Reply to
Vamp

On a wet and oily track I didn't expect him to do as well as he did. The same time as Jenson Button on a dry track, and only 0.1 of a second slower than Mansell also on a dry track. Pretty impressive IMO.

The Stig has the advantage of knowing the track extremely well, so I don't think his time is as significant as it might appear. Even so Lewis was only 0.3 secs slower than his fastest time on a dry track, so I have little doubt that if it's dry when Lewis tries again, Stigs time will be beaten by a comparitively large margin. I reckon Lewis's time will be in the mid 43's at the very least. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

When you're that good though, and the car is that underpowered - I still don't think wet or dry will make a huge difference really. I wonder if any bookies will be taking bets on him getting another shot and beating the Stig hehe :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Bet he pumped up the tyres for alittle less rolling resistance and slid it around!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

I don't think that is true. Even in the dry the car can go fast enough to slide off track if corners are taken too fast. For sure a wet track makes little difference to the straight line speed, but I'm sure the earlier braking, slower corner speed, and the slower exit speed necessary in the wet must significantly increase the lap times. LH made it look easy, but he was certainly losing time on the corners.

I wonder if any

I'd put money on LH beating the Stig by at least 1 sec in the dry. Maybe by even as much as 2 secs. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I'm with Mike G on this. For a given tyre, your absolute grip is (almost) always less on a wet road surface compared to on a dry surface. It's also less predictable.

Reply to
DervMan

Problem with that is the more you slide, the slower your lap time. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Usually, yes, but have you seen his driving! ;)

Reply to
DervMan

As Andy Wilman of the TG production team said:-

"I still keep replaying his second to last corner, because I've never seen a piece of driving quite like it. The world is governed by the rules of physics, but he just seems to have his own set."

There's no doubt about it, he is exceptionally well talented at controlling a car on a race track. Some of his overtaking places in F1 even surprised some of the more experienced F1 drivers. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G