Didn't know there was an Alfa 145 TD?

Was there such a beast? Seems a bit of a weird thing for a small Alfa with a Diesel powered engine when Alfa was making revvy petrol engines.

Reply to
Elder

Nothing odd about it at all - Alfa have been stuffing diesels into their cars since the 70s for LHD markets.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah OK. Didn't notice until I posted that it was LHD (bit dim really as it is large print).

But weird that we didn't get them. I guess small turbo diesels have only really taken off in the last 5 years and only thought of at all for about 10 in the UK. The Nova and AX were just about the only really small TD over here for while weren't they, and the Golf for Farmers to run on red.

Reply to
Elder

Yup - they didn't bother for RHD markets as we bought oil burners in such small proportions that it wasn't worth the tooling costs of the conversion.

Some of the older Alfa TDs are interesting, though - ISTR the 33 came with a 1.7 diesel triple.

Reply to
SteveH

Nope.

Reply to
Iridium

AX never got a TD, did it?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That engine is immediately recognisable as being the one from the Tipo 1.9 TD. Quite a grunty thing for the time - 148lbs of torque, but it didn't like to slug along in a high gear like a modern diesel does.

As SteveH says, plus I believe that Alfa Romeo GB were - at the time - unwilling to entertain the idea of a diesel Alfa. Against perceived brand values and all that.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

There was no turbodiesel AX. Plenty of 205 TDs about though.

The early Golf TDs were awful.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Daihatsu Charade 1.0 three pot diesel... I believe that was a TD.

Aye... supposed to be a very good car, those.

And not forgetting the 309 DTurbo - not *that* much bigger than a 205 really.

Both are now starting to fetch a premium if in reasonable condition.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Oh OK, I thought the AX diesels were turbo'd?

Reply to
Elder

Nah, AFAIK the same 1.5 engines Phase I 106's / Saxo's got.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Can anybody cough "Tempra TD" then? :)

When we were in Italy, there were a fair few 145s with the 1.4 twin spark or smaller diesels. Older Fiat group diesels are well sooty too...

Reply to
DervMan

I do believe I've just found possibly the ultimate hateable car, and bought the most amusing van to pimp.

I'd forgotten all about the 33 TD.

Mate of mine had a 164 TD on Spanish plates for years, most thrashed facelift 164 in existance but it would not die, was indecently quick but waaaay too torquey for a 164.

Actually, he might still have it...

  1. Collect the immaculate Mk1 Golf GTi I've just bought.
  2. Must pay for Barkas when in CZ next month
  3. Must arrange ferries / hotels / etc for driving back the Barkas in April.
  4. Avoid Carls drool when driving Barkas in Warrington.
  5. Fit Scirocco engine to Barkas..
  6. Pimp My Barkas :-)
Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:emihcf$i32$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Looks like a Commer if you squint enough :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Was it that rattley old 1.9TD heap they put in the Tipo / Tempra? (an enlarged 1.7 that was fitted in the Uno/Florino in NA form) Now they *were* noisy!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

No, they just skimmed every possible gram off the Saxo by making it from

0.25mm thick tin foil.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

They went quite well and were as economical as anything else from their era, though.

Reply to
SteveH

"Pete M" wrote in message news:emihcf$i32$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

What's a Barkus? And good cool on the Mk1 Golf :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Barkas vans are cool, but not so special on the Autobahn.

1.2 litre Skoda engine and a 4 speed box, same as my old Estelle, but with the shape and aerodynamics of a small caravan.
Reply to
Elder

Nope what you want is a Skoda 1.3 MPi engine from a Felicia. A Megasquirt'n'Spark or Omex ECU A DCOE manifold for the Felicia lump and a set of Throttle bodies from a GSXR with the mounting plates. You can respace the bodies to fit onto the DCOE manifold, and the mounting plates fit the manifold.

Ashley will sort you out with a replica Group A exhaust for an estelle, or John Shelley found supporting drinking establishment and the Skoda Museum in Mlada Boraslav can sort you out with a Group B replica and exhaust manifold.

As far are rear engined Skuds are concerned John 'god' Shelley is our man in the east.

Lighter than a VW engine, cam chain instead of belt, and good for over

100BHP on 1.3 road tax.
Reply to
Elder