Dodgy display/connection on Kenwood MASK unit

Just recently the display on my Kenwood 8090R has been turning off - the unit still operates just fine though. If I give the display/faceplate a push, it comes back on, and stays on.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the ribbon connecting the faceplate tray (it's a removeable faceplate) to the head unit, can snap internally over time. I've had the unit a couple of years now, and it's used daily. Is this likely to be the case ? How much am I looking at for a repair ?

Cheers folks :)

Reply to
Nom

Great excuse for an upgrade IMO

-- Chet

Chet

No wish whatsoever to replace it - a good replacement unit will run me £300 ! I like the one I've got, and I'm happy to pay £50 or so to get it sorted :)

Reply to
Nom

Reply to
Prakash Patel

: Just recently the display on my Kenwood 8090R has been turning off - the : unit still operates just fine though. If I give the display/faceplate a : push, it comes back on, and stays on. : : I'm sure I've read somewhere that the ribbon connecting the faceplate tray : (it's a removeable faceplate) to the head unit, can snap internally over : time. I've had the unit a couple of years now, and it's used daily. Is this : likely to be the case ? How much am I looking at for a repair ? :

I've got the Kenwood 7090R and just started having problems with it. Now when you put the ignition on, the faceplate turns halfway round and stops there, as though theres no power to it :(

I also heard that it may be the ribbon as you mentioned. Must be a weak point on them. I might go and get someone to have a look at it in the morning, see how much they charge for it fixing.

Reply to
frank

I've now had various replies saying it will be the ribbon. It's apparently an easy fix, and should cost anything upto £50.

Reply to
Nom

: : I've now had various replies saying it will be the ribbon. It's apparently : an easy fix, and should cost anything upto £50. : :

I've just been to see them and as soon as I told him what stereo it was he said the ribbon straight away. £53 to fix it.

He also said that every Kenwood mask unit he had ever sold has had to have the ribbon replaced at some point.

Now I don't know whether to get it fixed or to get a new stereo ....

Reply to
frank

Bah - now THAT is annoying.

I'm getting mine fixed. New stereo would have to be Kenwood to work with my changer, and it would have to be an MP3 unit. The Z838 is the best, but it's £330 (vs £50 to fix my 8090R). The rest of the Kenwood range currently look crappy, so the Z838 is the only choice. My current 8090R is an EXCELLENT unit - it was second to the flagship model (the 9090R) when I bought it, and cost me about £300 - this was only about 2 years ago. Hope that's enough reasons for you :)

Reply to
Nom

: : I'm getting mine fixed. New stereo would have to be Kenwood to work with my : changer, and it would have to be an MP3 unit. The Z838 is the best, but it's : £330 (vs £50 to fix my 8090R). The rest of the Kenwood range currently look : crappy, so the Z838 is the only choice. My current 8090R is an EXCELLENT : unit - it was second to the flagship model (the 9090R) when I bought it, and : cost me about £300 - this was only about 2 years ago. : Hope that's enough reasons for you :) : :

I have had this unit for just over 2 years also. I've been looking round at new stereos and haven't seen anything that I like (at a decent-ish price) so I think I'm gonna get it fixed.

I wonder how much Kenwood charge for the replacement ribbon? Nice little earner for them, I bet ;)

Reply to
frank

It should last you two more years, then you can upgrade. At least, that's what I plan to do :)

Agreed :)

Reply to
Nom