FA:Bubye cavvy

Don't you get it? The raised rear increases downforce!

Reply to
fishman

->> Shame NeXT evolved into OSX and they broke it :-(

->

->Now I'm thinking of that episode of the Simpsons where Stan Lee makes

->"The Thing" fit into a nerd's Batmobile.

->

->"broke it, or made it better!"

Broke it, OpenStep on the Intel platform was/is the dogs.

->One day, I'll actually experience a functioning NeXT. I will read

->newsgroups on it, use the first web browser, and see what the machine

->was really capable of.

Omiweb, I guess it would be okay on text only sites !

->Richard (never had a working NeXT yet - the mono station is nearly there

->though - but I did have a BeBox when they were new!).

I'll see your BeBox and raise you a TRS-80.

Reply to
Geoff

Vic 20, Spectrum, Dragon 32, later, much later C64, expansion breakout, midi keyboard, and floppy drive.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I've got a Commodore 16

Reply to
fishman

Well we once had a ZX81, without a working tape deck. There was a game (in BASIC) in some computer magazine, that we had to type in the entire script of every time we wanted to play it. We felt like kings when we borrowed a friend's Acorn Electron, with its 16k of RAM and working tape deck.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I had a keyboard that plugged into my Atari 2600. I win! : )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

What the hell for, word processing? If so, how did you save your work or indeed print it?

Reply to
fishman

It turned the atari into a computer. It had it's own basic programming language and a paint program. Saving didn't happen. Neither did printing. But it was cool all the same. I think I was 6 when I started which would of made the year 1980.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston
[...]

I have some 68k Mac stuff in Edinburgh - yours if you want it, mail is valid.

Alistair J Murray

Never managed to get it running, as I understand it it is pretty picky about SCSI controllers.

I found something called "WorldWideWeb" - which I'm hoping is the Berners-Lee original "I invented teh interwebz0r" program ;)

A TRS-80? Meh! I'll see your TRS-80 and raise you a Sharp MZ80K

(I had a TRS80 once, but I don't remember much about it - had a CoCo, a Model... 1 I think, 16K, silver thing, and a Model 102. And I've got a Sharp PC-1211 upstairs which was sold as a Tandy PC4).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I've got a Colecovision that can play 2600 games ;)

Richard (saving the big guns, of course, though how the BeBox doesn't count - with only 1400 'production' models made, and only 400 66MHz ones like mine)...

Reply to
RichardK

ZX81, Dragon 32, Sord / CGL M5, Atari 65XE, Amstrad CPC6128, Amiga 500+, Speccy 48k bought at a boot sale, Mac Classic, P133MMX..... then I got the more modern stuff - iMac 'Grape', Powerbook 5300, iBook 'Blueberry', Powermac 7500 with G3 upgrade, Powerbook Pismo, Celery 1ghz, Shuttle XP1800, iBook G4.

Fuck me, I've wasted some cash over the years..... I also have 2 'Vectrex' consoles in the spare room.

Reply to
SteveH

Oooh. I've never actually seen a Vectrex running.

I shan't list all the machines I've owned, as basically, I'm an obsessive collector. The oddities would be Jupiter ACE, Enterprises of varying spec, NeXTs, HP Apollos, ICL OPD (I still have a QL), the aforementioned BeBox...

Currently I've got... er... G5, eMac, PowerBook, G3 x 2 (but, my main one - with Blue LED and 60Gb HD used for a media server - has just gained a 500MHz G4 and 768Mb RAM I found in the grotty beaten up G3 I'd been going to turn down!), dual PIII PC, two NeXT slabs, Apple II,e,gs, Workgroup Server 95 (most of)... hell, there's a link my my sig and it's mostly up to date ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Very odd, very futuristic at the time. One of the games, ISTR, 'Spike' had speech synthesis. That was a massive 'wow' at the time.

You really should pop down here one day to collect a shed load of old computers off me and play with the Vectrex.... distance is a massive problem, as we've dicussed on several occasions in the past.

Reply to
SteveH

Mmmm, shed load of old computers - anything exciting in there? I know you mentioned a IIcx a while back, and I'm looking for a IIx with the

13" display - want to relive my 'I just bought my first proper computer' moment, though I did have a Lisa and other Macs before it...

You know you're running out of old computers when you want to install an OS and can't find anything with a spare SCSI disk drive in it...

(current cannibalisation demands are for "More of those big 16Mb 30-pin SIMMS" for the Workgroup Server - I want a 1992-spec machine with 256Mb RAM, dammit! - and sub 2Gb SCSI drives. I want to get my SE/30 running again).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Well, there's the II-whatever with it's A4 monitor, a couple of SGI things and some huge Sparc tower. The SGI boxes don't appear to do anything, but the Sun does boot - had it hooked up to the Mac via a serial port.

Reply to
SteveH

BeBoxen rock. Some people build "replicas" using Abit BP6 motherboards with dual Celerons.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I always wanted an octane or O2 SGI they looked so cool.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

With the LEDs and stuff? Of course they lose the Geekport and the massively cool hardware engineering...

BeOS went to shit on the 'real' BeBox when the PR releases with Intel code started to surface. The 66MHz machines running DR8.1 were quick, but useless as BeOS was developed...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I have seen one. with the LEDs on the front. Two vertical bars showing how hard the CPU was working.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2