First blat to the coast :)

Thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather forecast yesterday to take the Locost out for a blat to the coast (160-170m round trip), what a blast it's like discovering driving all over again :) Wore my lid more for the cold protection than stone chips (although glad I did, could've lost a tooth or two with the smile I had on me yock :) was cold, but no colder than a bike.

The new carb and dizzy have given another couple of horsepower but the main difference is in the smoothness, no flat spots anymore. It accelerates fast enough to blur my sight but hits a brick wall at about 95mph, it'd probably overcome the aerodynamics downhill to get to 100, but that's about all it's geared for. I'm getting into this "drifting" thing too, only when it's wet though ;) I got into a bit of a race with an Avensis of all things and the driver thought he'd won 'cos he overtook me at about 90, when we got to the next roundabout though he took the inside lane and I took the outside and (accidently at first) drifted it past him ! :)

The main problem is being accosted by schoolkids asking me to "wheelspin it" and the couple of times I have they've been looking at the front wheels axpecting them to spin, eeeeeeh, the youth of today...

It might be a bit underpowered, but it weighs less than 620kgs wet with a full tank and you don't need to slow down much for corners ;) Worth every drop of blood and sweat spilled in the 3 1/2 years it took to build.

Chuffed :))))

Drive it like you built it ! :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

When I had that 2 litre Daewoo Leganza (stop gap) I got into a wee race with a little Megane Coupe type thing. Granted the Leganza engine had 130bhp, but it didn't feel like it - quite an unrefined engine. Anyway, putting my foot down coming off a roundabout, and so does this little Megane (at a guess probably only a 1.6 or so), I just leave it in 3rd up to about 80 and he struggles to keep up. Quite amusing, two very mediocre cars 'racing' :-)

Not the case with your Locost though! Glad you're enjoying it - it certainly makes me want to build a decent kit car one day.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

OR make your own?

I`m doing that, it is more fun, being 6'3 I was limited to what I would fit in. Costs a bit less, and it is exactly what i want!.

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

I think you'd be suprised at how much legroom there is, I'm 6'0 and there's room to spare. What is it you're building ?

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Take 'em to one side and give them a slap! Don't they watch the BMW 1 Series adverts in the cinema? :)

Nice...

Reply to
DervMan

Building a car similar in concept to dodge viper and tvr. That is what i believe a true sports car is- long bonnet, wide stance.

Got the chassis painted this summer, now painting all the bits like dif carriers, steering rack mount, gearbox mount etc.

Its comming together now!

Reply to
timmmmayyy!