WTF do councils spread on the roads ?

Been out in the Locost today, cold but fun :)

At one point I put my foot down in 3rd and felt the clutch slipping, a few seconds later and I realised that it was wheelspin, in 3rd !

What the hell do the council spread on the road to make it have so little traction, even taking into account the cold weather/tyres it shouldn't do that.

Annoyed >:(

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Did exactly the same in the missus' MR2 on thursday which result in a nice big slide. Never done that in an MR2 when I havent been trying to do it!

The swift wheel spins all the time, it has huge issues put it power down. Really must buy some decent tyres!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Its the residue from the salt combined with an increase in crap and damp at this time of year. I know exactly what you mean as I got the Capri sideways just exiting a roundabout.

Reply to
Conor

Crazy suggestion.

Check all of your brakes.

When I had the locost it had about 120bhp (according to JoelPs subsequent RR session) and it would spin the rear wheels on a damp road in third. On such a light car and with sod all weight over the driven wheels, a sticky brake can easily lead to wheelspin on the one totally unsticky driven wheel - it did on mine. Having said all of that. If it rolls freely, it probably isn't a problem.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Conor decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I'll take your Capri, and raise you 32 ft of Excursion limousine. Well amusing.

Reply to
Pete M

Will do.

It's just weird that it's never done it in the wet, the road was dry, but felt like it was icy...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Oh dear you were out of control. You are a danger on the roads and should have your license taken away from you.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Until you get the bill after hitting the lamp-post.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

ROTFL... what a tagline.

Remember kids, a dog is for life, not just the christmas party.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Shouldn't that be posts? One on either side of the street?

Reply to
Conor

LOL. I would've been if I'd have hit the brakes.

It's the one at Shiptonthorpe.

Reply to
Conor

I know it well. The one at the bottom of Market Weighton hill can be a bitch too, especially when lorries are splashing diseasel on it on cold mornings.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

32 ft would be enough to launch off the kerb and wedge across the road by the posts.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Remarkably hard perfectly spherical grit?

Maybe not.

Reply to
conkersack

Good to see you've calmed down a little then since your ban...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

yeah i was a complete tosser before :)

Reply to
Vamp

And now you've regained at least half of your wits ? :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I hear they have been adding some form of glue to it this year to help it stick to the roads and not get washed away it just seems to have made it very slippy.

Reply to
Depresion

no mate i've always been a half wit, that's how i got caught speeding in the first place :)

Reply to
Vamp

I know, it's disgraceful.

I went past one of the springs that spews water all over the A7, and had to drop the Subaru to 60. And it still got squirmy!

What amazed me was the apparent mountain of salt that had been dumped there. I'm glad I didn't take the XR4i, the body would have vansihed before I hit anything from skidding.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK