Fuel pump alternative use

Hi,

I'm wondering if an electric fuel pump can be used to pump around water of

80-90 deg C, continously. These pumps are easy to find and cheap from a scrappy.

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen

"Phil Howard" schreef in bericht news:Ahybb.504$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net...

No, it's not for a chargecooler :) It's for a experimental washer fluid heater system with a simple heat exchanger in one of the coolant pipes. It needs a pump, and have tried 2 pumps (gears) but these died quite fast. The first one had a burnt motor, the other had knackered gears after a week and in turn caused the motor to fry. I'm now considering to put the heater in the washer bottle itself, as pumps are not easy to source, and gears pumps are not suitable for this application.

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen

In article , snipped-for-privacy@dev.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Why not follow the usual route of running either an extended length of washer hose, or brake hose that is spliced into the washer hose, coiled round the radiator top hose?

Has been known to stop pipes freezing, or two thaw them in minutes. Far simpler than a heat exchanger.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

"MeatballTurbo" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de...

I already have the exchanger, made of standard copper pipes you can buy at any general hardware store. Works great, as long as the pumps works :)

Reply to
Jeroen

Have you considered truck or bus Washer motor/pump which apparently have a longer throw and have to maintain pressure because of the size of the windscreen?

I've seen them used in DIY water injection systems.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Renault 19 or clio 16v have an secondary electric water pump fitted that'd to the job.

-- Chet

Chet