Getting a Seicento with engine problem

I'm being given a Fiat Seicento this week but it has an engine problem - apparently it keeps losing a spark plug. Note I've not seen the car yet.
Any ideas why this might be?
Are there any other issues with these to consider. It's a 2000 model and I'm guessing it's the 899cc one.
Oh, and any suggestions of what to do with it mods-wise?
Thanks.
David

Firstly find the missing plug, then LED washer jets and big bore exhaust tail pipe.

If you can't see the LED washer jets without having to hunt, then they don't work. Or another of Ken's little fantasies has been debunked yet again, and he doesn't know any better.
How about a Hayabusa engine and box? That would be kind of extreme, but very, very exciting.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Hayabusa engine probably not, but I know where there's a Fireblade engine and box spare.
I'm just not sure I'd want to be piloting a tiny Fiat rocketship.

Yes, OH yes you do.

If you find out what colour or condition the spark plug is in first it will give you an idea where to start. http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/_techtalk/00000005.htm

Don't bother, save the money towards your next car.

Thanks for this - I'll have a look later this week.

You never know - it might not be that bad.
I went past the house this evening where I'm collecting it - it's navy blue. However, it's been stored facing down a slope which'll make freeing the handbrake fun, particularly as I've got to push it up the drive to get it out!
David

Push? Get a tow rope!!
SNIP

Nope - got a simpler solution. Someone's coming with me to get it. He can push.
I've re-read the notes I took when speaking with her. Apparently the spark plug "pops out", which tells me the thread might be gone.
That means re-threading the head?
David

Good man!

Chemical metal, then sell it on before they need changing :)
says...

Actually, Chemical metal with grease on the plug threads, but throughly degreasing the area of the head.
Very bodged but as long as the head was clean enough, it might just work quite well. The plug would unscrew, but the bodge would stay inplace.
You just couldn't torque down the plug if you should.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Get 2 more mates and you can probably carry it.

It may be simpler and cheaper to just swap the head.

Hmmm, the only time I've changed the plugs on one of these it was a battle not to bring the thread out with the plug. I just about got away with it, looks like someone else wasn't so lucky :) Best plan is a "Helicoil" quite expensive for the insert and tool, might be cheaper and easier to take it to your local engine rebuilders and ask them to do it. If it's not OHC (can't remember), it'll be less than 20 for a head gasket set and a simple job to remove and refit.
Oh aye, if you remove the remaining plugs, make sure you blather the threads with copperslip before you replace 'em :)
--

Tony Bond / UncleFista

www.bradford7.co.uk
"Tony Bond (UncleFista)" wrote in message

Thanks - a Helicoil is what I was thinking of, but couldn't remember.
I used to sell them when I worked in Brown Brothers in the early 90's.
David

Losing it? As in when you open the bonnet it's not there? ;) It's hard to pin down without more information but start with the normal things like checking that it has had HT leads and the distributor is actually the correct one.

I know - that's what I've been told. My guess is that a) it's failing or b) it's loose. Probably a.
I'm picking the car up on Tuesday evening and will find out then.
David

Is it screwed in properly ?
</predictable>
--
Lordy.UK

David Lane wrote:

My dad says it is pinking...
--
Douglas - can't believe no-one had thought of this yet.

Dammit, I'd got to all but the last post, thinking "I'll be the first to say this", and you go and bloody beat me to it. Damn you, Payne.
--
Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for
them.

Thanks - it's free (from Freecycle) so I've got some spare cash to spend on it.
David