Golf Deisel 1.9 TDI - Kits for a). improve power from 130BHP to 150BHP b). cruise control(??)

Probably. Or some string? :-)

It'll depend where the noise is coming from. If it's coming from the back of the car it may be a leaky exhaust rather than the exhaust system absolute.

Hmmm. To a degree, except, depending on the variant, the VAG's key strength is its willingness to pull hard from ~1,500 rpm.

Yes but...

That's only a relative perception; perhaps it's true to some small degree, but this is almost certainly because the difference between the TDI 90 pulling hard at 1,500 rpm and 3,000 rpm is much smaller than the TDI 130 at the same engine speeds. if you see what I mean.

Yes, but there's pulling happily and wheelspinning. :)

One of the key strengths of the 1.9 TDI 130 is that it's arguably the best blend of the 1.9 range (some argue that the original TDI PD 115 is a better compromise because it's quieter). The 150 has a reputation for being noisier and thirstier, but I suspect a chunk of this is associated with the owners using the power. The TDI 90 is a good economy choice, the 110 is a better one (it tends to be just as economical but is quicker). The latest ~100 PS is probably a decent compromise between the two...

The key VAG 1.9 TDI weaknesses are the unwillingness to rev as hard as more modern, multivalve peers. And their homes, but that's another argument... ;-)

Reply to
DervMan

In my opinion stay clear from these cheap "tuning boxes". All they do is trick the car's ecu to think it is cold so it adds more fuel. As mentioned before, have a look here

Loads of experts and reviews of many of the tuning companies. Probably the number one VW Golf/Bora forum in the UK.

Reply to
diy-newby

My experience of the 130BHp engine doesn't tally with this - it should pull pretty well from about 1200rpm. The same engine (& gearbox?) in the B5.5 Passat is adequate from 40mph in 6th, and by ~55mph pulls like a train.

As this isn't a new car, it may be worth having the AFM (air-mass flow meter) checked - they can and do conk out after a couple to a few years. In my case one of the primary effects was a lack of any power below

2000rpm...
Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yeah, but the torque has only doubled, or thereabouts. They don't feel gutless at ~1200rpm.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Following this thread, I took note of (indicated) road speed and RPM in my Fabia vRS. 1500 rpm in sixth gives me about 50mph, and there's lots of acceleration.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That would be the same gear box as me then. (Have you seen 3750rpm in 6th yet? ;) )

Reply to
Depresion

Isn't that 125mph? Oooo....

Reply to
Iridium

I wouldn't know *cough* nor would I know what that dose to the MPG.

Reply to
Depresion

If you want a quiet, fast car do not buy a diesel.

Cruise control can be fitted to drive by wire cars. The OEM cost (exluding fitting) is around £60. It can be fitted yourself, you may need someone with vag-com to enable cruise control on your ecu.

Reply to
diy-newby

Why not? I have two quiet cars both capable of license risking speeds, both diesel. They have chopped about 30% off the running costs of my cars but made no difference on my point to point times.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

All well and good, but could they really be considered as devastatingly fast cross-country weapons, and do they have cup-holders, an electrically adjustable driver's seat and a soft-touch dash?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Well, I'm sure at least one does heh.

Reply to
Iridium

It's all down to the driver, though, not the car. So yes heh.

Reply to
DervMan

The scary thing is that two years ago I genuinely don't think you'd have written that. :p

Reply to
DervMan

Hmmmm

  1. I think so
  2. Not in the merc
  3. Not in the toyota
  4. Not in the toyota
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Given the choice between my cars and the equivalent priced petrol models, I'd choose the petrol ones if someone else was paying the running costs.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Most people would. I'm, hmm, undecided. I like the diesel-ness, especially when filling up.

But, the Mustang is only available with petrol as standard...

Reply to
DervMan

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Nurse! Quickly! Bring that nice jacket with the extra-long sleeves. Yes, the one with the VERY HEAVY DUTY straps...

Reply to
Adrian

That's what I've read. I've driven many miles in a 1.4 75BHP TDI, which is a cracker for the size (but not as economical as one might hope, in my hands at least), and in a TDI 90 (superb for it's day but outclassed now), a 110 (most economical and good performance despite heavy A3 body), and now a 130. The 130 is great, but slightly thirstier than the

110, though that seems most evident if you use the performance....

I've little experience of the 115, but on a short drive, yes the 130 seems a bit noisier- but I'd choose the 130 just for the extra grunt. Then again I've never driven a 100 or 150 (or the 160BHP Seat Version), so maybe I'd go 150 given the choice.

No argument there. Isn't there pretty much an upper rev limit on diesels (of 4Ksomething) as you can't get the fuel to burn fast enough?

We'll never agree there though...

Reply to
Chris Bartram

No, not brave/foolhardy enough ;-)