Golf Deisel 1.9 TDI - Kits for a). improve power from 130BHP to 150BHP b). cruise control(??)

I don't go anywhere near the major population centres of South Wales.

Today I was in Lampeter, Llandrindod Wells, Aberystwyth and Cardigan.

Not likely to find lots of LPG filling stations around there.

Easy to find 'red' derv. though....

Reply to
SteveH

Do you need many though? Ok you'd need to plan where to fill up but it's not that much hassle and it'd mean you'd get a nicer car.

Reply to
James Grabowski

It's tricky.

I need 2 tanks of derv a week, so I reckon I could at least double that on LPG, which would be a major hassle. I *hate* filling up.

Reply to
SteveH

No you just made yourself look a bitter skint fool.

Reply to
Burgerman

I love three cylinder diesels for their curious slightly lumpy engine note and sensation. If I could fault the 1.4 TDI, it is that it doesn't have the same low end character as the 1.9, it wants to be revved. But given the cars it lives in, this isn't a problem...

Yes. I'd expect on long haul trips there'd be nothing in it.

I wonder if a chipped 110 would be noisier as the 130? Hmm...

Initially the 1.9 TDI feels wrong. It sounds not too far different from the

90 and 110 PS versions but it is so much quicker. I suspect it's capable of low mpg figures. :)

On a back to back with the 150 PS 1.8T, I'd take the TDI because I prefer the noise. Performance wise, "different but comparable." From rest the petrol felt quicker and easier to pull off swiftly without wheelspin. On the move the TDI felt it had the advantage, at least inside the speed limit.

Yes, except, I don't know what the theoritical maximum engine speed is. Some turbodiesels need to be revved - the 1.4 Toyota DI-D, the BMW 2.0d. Some reward with lots of low down heave - the four cylinder 1.9 TDI. Some aim to combine both, achieving a little less at the bottom and the top but managing it reasonably well. In the end that's what I went for, the DTI Ecotec, the idea is that I have most of the low down heave combined with most of the high end stuff. Then I chip it.

It reaches somewhere _just_ over 5,000 rpm with a jolt... In fourth.

The Galaxy was okay. :)

Reply to
DervMan

That depends on your perspective. 2,500 rpm to 6,000 rpm of not much, or

2,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm of slightly more but still not much.

With the short gearing for the petrol van and the raised gearing for the diesel van, I'll wager the effective road speed / gear ranges favour the diesel.

Reply to
DervMan

Have you *seen* Torchwood?

Reply to
DervMan

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@vodafone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I am. I just about managed to resist bidding on this...

(Gawd knows why somebody welded a chicken shed to it)

Reply to
Adrian

That's cool.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Probably more - you normally have about a ~20% expansion volume when 'full', so given the 15-20% reduction in per-litre economy on lpg, probably looking at 130+ litres, which given that they are cylindrical means a real boot-volume loss of around 166 litres, plus a total pain in the arse if you ever try to carry stuff with the seats down.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Albert T Cone ( snipped-for-privacy@pie.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

When I was toying with the idea of gassing it, one plan was to dump the spare wheel and cradle (under the boot floor, outside the car) and put multiple smaller cylinders there.

Reply to
Adrian

Good idea, even if it does mean a custom-mount. At least you'd have fewer extra holes in the bodywork and a useable boot. But no spare. Carry tyre foam and face the wrath of the tyre-fitter who does the repair... :)

Reply to
Albert T Cone