grandad motoring

Hi, not posted on here for a while, lots of new faces!

I have been with a mate to look at some cars he might be buying. We drove a 93 E34 535 and a 92 Granada 2.9 V6. Now these are both cracking cars for the money and both felt as sporty as a car with an armchair instead of a seat can feel. Both cars I would not have looked twice at before.

The bimmers go down in value as the engine size increaces, so a 520 will cosy an arm and a leg, a 535 costs about 30p and a 540 owner will pay you to take it away, I suppose this reflects on the fuel bills and the feeling that the car is a ticking away towards a big bill. The scorpio was rapid even after the v8, its a shame it has an auto box but once on the move its not slow for a barge hitting the wrong side of a 100 from

50 in little time at all.

One thing that really surprised me was the cornering on both cars. Being used to the more petite vehicle I expected these thhings to fall over and die if I even whent near a roundabout but no, a bit of power oversteer and both cars seem to glide smoothly, although this might have been a false sence of security and the same may apply to rough b-roads.

With all the miles I do Im seriously thinking about getting one of these for a bit of pipe and slipper motoring. :) I was previously looking at a

200sx of a simlar age but these cars do have a strange appeal.

How do these cars compare? Im thinking that some breathing will free up some power and a godzilla style sondtrack.

Reply to
Gav

Gav raved thus:

:: With all the miles I do Im seriously thinking about getting one of :: these for a bit of pipe and slipper motoring. :) I was previously :: looking at a 200sx of a simlar age but these cars do have a strange :: appeal.

Just watch for dodgy mates with Saxos/Novas/misc small hatch who want you to move large items around for them.

That said, you could always stuff 'em full of subs...

Abo

Reply to
Abo

if you can afford them, go for a bigger engined bmw the little 2.0 just ain't got the grunt you need to shift a big car at the other end of the scale, you could go and pick up a 24V Scorpio with double the spec of the bmw for peanuts

the only things that go wrong are the track control arm bushes (poly ones sort his for as little as £80 plus fitting) gearboxes lose the overdrive (24V is made to measure for the 24V engine but the other ones are all interchangeable) air con gives up, but that's the condenser and the receiver/dryer everything else just goes n and on for millions of miles :)

Reply to
dojj

In article , type- snipped-for-privacy@subdimension.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Welcome to bargain basement grandad barge performance.

You don't look like your going fast, so unless gatso'd don't get pulled.

You won't make too many friends on the cruise curcuit, but who cares with leather and aircon.

You will still be able walk at the end of a long journey whilst your Nova/AX/Saxo buddies will be virtual cripples.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I think its the way to go, Im quite into the idea of having one car that is fast and practical as opposed to others who have a sporty car and a boring car so I think something big and powerful is for me.

I have been looking at a 200sx but I was convinced to try a Xedos V6 and it is really agile for its size and a good compromise between handling and comfort, shame its not rwd but I do like one of these or a Primera GT.

G.

MeatballTurbo wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de:

Reply to
Gav

This isn't so - unless the cars are wrecks. In many ways, the 535 is the pick of the E34s, bomb proof mechanics without the complexity of the V-8s. People are cautious of V-8s, though, due to the nikasil thingie.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

etc. etc.

Reply to
Nom

Damned good fun a rear wheel drive with plenty of poke. I have an Omega 2.5 V6, I love turning off the traction control just to scare the misses.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

"Funkyman" wrote in news:3f1f1f8c snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com:

I have always thought that a heavy rwd car would be pointless compared to a sports car but after being in the ford and especially the bmw I can see that its not about the weight but the balance that is important.

Reply to
Gav