grounding - electrical??

in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "JohnR" slurred :

And it's softness, which lets it conform to odd contact points. In some cases you can get lower contact resistance with gold than copper, despite it's lower conductivity.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yup, unfortunately I never had the opportunity to take it round a track as we only had it a very short time. At 16 stone + and 6ft + I'm not built to get in and out of one with the roof on.

Reply to
Depresion

If you car is 10 years old or so you may find that some of the stock earthling points and straps have corroded away or have gone enough to increase there resistance so cleaning up the mounting points and fitting new straps can cure problems and is only a couple of pounds (so cheap I would consider it for preventative reasons every 10-15 years).

Reply to
Depresion

One thing that should be pointed out:

I`m quite sure this is correct, if not, i`ll soon be shot down!!!!!

The reason that corrosion is increased in many vehicles is due to the battery earth causes electrolisis to increase corrosion on the chasis.

If you were to remove the bodywork from ground, corrosion will be reduced. But you will need twice as much wiring.

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

True. On positive earth vhicles a lot of the plated parts used to rot and fall off, because the zinc plating under the chrome made them sacrificial,since the swap to negative earth, the trim survived but the body work rotted through salts created from a combination of moisture and electrical current.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

That's why everything is negative earth these days -reduced corrosion, older positive earth stuff could promote corrosion...

Nope, more corrosion *and* twice the wire - lose, lose

Alistair J Murray

The message from Albert T Cone contains these words:

I did that - only with the choke cable and a Metro.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "timmmmayyy!" contains these words:

Why? It's not making an external circuit to anything else, so it won't make a difference.

Reply to
Guy King

I've seen that done with a Skoda accelerator cable too. On the rear engine cars.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Moisture and current makes electrolyte, and creates mineral salts that promote corrosion.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Gathering...making...effort...time...few quid

Blue...milled ally...premade...few more quid

See my point? I'm all for making stuff instead of buying but wasting time on somethin inferior for the sake of a few quid is just silly

Chet

Chet

On Renaults, 19's in particular they have a habit of earthing throught the coolant system which leads to coolant pipes/sensors etc going to shit. Thats another reason i have one of those kits

Reply to
Chet

Did somebody change the laws of physics when I wasn't here, or am I missing something blatantly obvious?

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

The message from Sleeker GT Phwoar contains these words:

Only if there's a potential difference.

Reply to
Guy King

Only inferior if you prefer form over function. Time and effort is part of the fun of car modding, it's the sweat equity.

Anyone with a big enough credit card and build a 10 second car or a show winner. Doing it without the budget is what makes it fun.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You canny change the laws of physics capin, but it's a Renault so they probably did something very silly at design stage just for the hell of it.

Reply to
Depresion

In article , Albert T Cone writes

I did that too, but the earth strap had corroded through and snapped in this case. The plastic sheath on the accelerator cable melted away and the resting position of the accelerator changed (the cable stops are lead and they'd moved) but the car was fine after replacing the strap.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

in news:424029db$0$15995$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, "timmmmayyy!" slurred :

You can only get electrolysis if the positive terminal of the battery is connected to one metal, the negative to another, and then both are immersed in the same ionic conductive medium.

I suppose it's possible that one a very wet day that moisture might make a complete circuit from the alternator terminals to the bodywork, but it would be very high resistance, and the electrolytic effect would be negligible.

So, no, basically what you said is rubbish :-)

It won't make any difference to corrosion, but yes, you would need more wiring.

Reply to
Albert T Cone