Help!! Sheffiedl Calling .Head gasket Espace!!!

This is really a genuine emergency! I suffer with agoraphobia and rely on our Renault espace 1988 2Ltr Petrol to go anywhere. My husband has just informed me that the head gasket is on the way out. We could afford the head gasket but apparently with fitting etc it will total £800!! We havent got £800 nor can we borrow that kind of money. I need this mpv because I daren't ride in a normal low down car as I have panic attacks when overtaking. (Somehow feel more secure higher up). We live in Sheffield. Can anyone point us in the right direction or advise about where we might get this work done considerably cheaper?? We really are desperate. Mnay thanx in advance Sue

Reply to
sue

take the head off, take it to a reconditioning workshop, buy a headset, get them to assemble the parts on the head, refit head to vehicle. job done

headset £50-100 Skim £25

dont go through a garage, chances are they wont be doing the work themselves, find an auto factor with a w/shop and get them to do it... it shouldnt cost anywhere near £800, I could supply you/recondition your complete engine for 800 +vat but Im no where near you. keep looking around HTH all the best.

Reply to
Theo

Didn't you miss out a whole lot of important details there??? I guy i know had a cambelt break on a new astra. His father fixed it for him. (valves replaced,etc). Two weeks later he had a locked up engine ... it won't start because the 3rd cylinder fills up with water. ..... Even though his father is a ford main dealer mechanic.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

ITYM 'because his father is a ford main dealer mechanic.'

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Hmmm. If you can't come by a few hundred quid when need be, then I fail to see how you manage to run a car ? In consumables alone, I've had a full service, new rear discs and pads, cambelt change, and a new backbox in the last year - totalling somewhere around £500.

If an £800 bill is looming, then it's time to change your car. It's not worth spending hundreds of pounds on a car that's worth hundreds of pounds, for obvious reasons.

Reply to
Nom

Anyone with a driving licence can drive a small white van for a living. Anyone who can hold a spanner can fix fords for a living. Unfortunately, they do employ spanner holders!!! I'm waiting for that chap on eastenders (uk fairy-tale soap opera) to fix his first engine and get credit and praise all round!!

That should encourage a whole load of tool polishers to look for garage work.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Yea ... insurance costs a few hundred too.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder