Honeypot

Hypothetically writing of course, is a honeypot car considered entrapment?

I mean, for example, lets suppose that a stupid car thief doesn't get suspicious when a car that he's already broken into twice that week and stolen a PDA cradle, well what if the owner left the car in the same spot

*with* a PDA on display? I mean, surely, no scroat is going to be that stupid to assume it's there unguarded, right? Surely?

Pepper spray is bloody effective, at least, in this hypothetical world of mine. MDF is also remarkably tough stuff too.

Reply to
DervMan

The Police around here (Bolton, Greater Manchester) use an old car to catch car-thieves and vandals. They keep it in our yard (commercial services) and wheel it out every couple of weeks or so with various items on display in the interior.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

You don't sound the type to confront anyone, never mind using a pepper spray if you have one. You would have done it by now rather than posting on here. You have to realise that the scumbags breaking in to your car are probably your own neighbours. If you had put a camera up weeks ago you would have a better idea. Just make sure the recording is time and date stamped or the CPS (criminal protection service) will not use it in court. The people stealing from you want money for heroin and younger people want to buy pot. They just see your property as a way of getting their next lot of drugs. They are not thinking normally trying to work out if it is a trap. Addiction will make them take that chance and knowing the police will just slap them on the hand will not bother them. Make sure it isn't windy when you use the spray or you will get it in your own face. You're better off with one of the sprays that puts out a fluid that turns into a substance like expanding foam. It also stains the skin green, so the person gets it over their face and hands and is easily identifiable. Watch you don't get prosecuted for protecting your own property. It would be better if the person was trapped in the boot while you drove miles away before realising and letting them out.

Reply to
Pete

Nothing happens when they do catch them as most are repeat offenders with at least 40 previous convictions. Far too much paperwork for the police (if and when they can be bothered) and the CPS and Magistrates just keep letting them off. So all the criminals do is go back out knowing they can get away with it. Don't forget a criminal can take legal action against a home or car owner if he injures himself breaking in, or when inside! That's all paid for out of our taxes.

Reply to
Pete

Or burying them in the woods somewhere...

Reply to
Abo

Peppersprays can backfire in high winds. Outside is never a good place for them, having said that neither is indoors. Not everyone is susceptible to them either. MDF is waaaay too soft for bashing people with. In this hypothetical situation I would recommend a few mates and some solid hickory pick axe handles. After bashing put guy in boot and drive somewhere very far away and secluded. Take him to forrest and tell him he is about to be killed. Then leave him and drive off. Of course you might just entice someone into knicking it who wouldn't bother otherwise. Best bet is probably a really loud alarm and leaving the car unlocked so they don't need to smash their way in.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Forgot to mention in my first post. Expect a reasonable chance they are going to try to stab you. Seriously.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston