How to fit a cd player?

depends on the car really but the basics are the same. get a set of radio removers for like 2 quid or a bit of coat hanger ;)

stick it down the sides or in the holes at the front of the old radio and pull, should come out and just pull the aerial and ISO connectors at the back. you may need a ISO converter for your make/model i.e ford ect to the ISO on the new stereo.

tried to find a pictured how to on the web but couldn't sorry :(

someone here might be able to explain better than me anyway

Reply to
Vamp

Well, I'm new to all this malarkey - can anyone recommend a site which says how to fit a cd player in a car? I understand it's pretty simple... but - only when you know how!

Finally upgrading from the crappy tape player. :)

TIA.

Reply to
Rachel

And a bigger hammer doesn't hurt either ;)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

You need the removal tools for your existing stereo. If you don't have them, then your local car audio place will sell/lend you them, or you can usually get them out by wiggling knives/needles/screwdrivers into the appropriate holes/slots. Pull it out, and then remove it's cage - you'll need to bend the metal hooks back to get it out. Disconnect the three plugs from it (ISO + ISO + Aerial).

Now, put the cage in from your new stereo. Again, bend the metal hooks to hold it inplace. Connect the three plugs (ISO + ISO + Aerial), and slot the stereo in.

Er, that's it.

Takes 5 minutes at the most. If your car doesn't have ISO connectors in it (it almost certainly does) then again, your local car audio store will sell you an adaptor for a few quid.

Reply to
Nom

Four nails!

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Call a man in :)

Seriously, what everyone else said works too :)

Reply to
Dan405

Thanks for your replies everyone - I've seen it done, but it was a long time ago.

Now to wait for it to arrive... :))

Reply to
Rachel

I have just done it to my ford Fiesta - i had a sort of double size factory stereo which i wanted to change for a standard sized MP3/CD player.

I had to buy a Facia Adapter (Halfords) to make it into the correct size and colour, I also had to buy a wiring adapter (Halfords) to make the standard Ford wires fit onto the stereo (you put the ford wires into the adapter, which fits into the back of the stereo - i also had to buy an adapter which made the Ford aerial fit into the stereo)

Just connect it uo (put the cage (comes with new stereo) onto the facia, bend the metal bits to hold it in place) then put the stereo into that, connect the wires in and push it into place, i had a bracked to hold it up at the back but i oculdnt fit it into my car but its still holding up well...

If you have a Standard size CD/Tape player already in your car you wont need a facia adapter and probably a wiring adapter either....

You will need tools to get your old stereo out, the old ford stereo had 2 big holes (4 on either size) i used a chunky metal hanger (2 U shapes) and pulled it out - my new stereo has a more complex shape which wouldn't work with a hanger so if yours is liek that you might need to goto Haldfords and buy one or get someone to take it out.

Reply to
mo

: You wanted something like this, you did:

AstraVanMan

: You wanted something like this, you did:

Though they actually do do a standard Ford fitment MP3/CD player, but they're pretty rare. I had a 6-disc changer in my Fiesta (one of the ones where the changer is actually part of the head unit) and it was brilliant. The design was pretty good, as you've got double the space of a standard stereo to put all the buttons, and it was dead easy to fit as well.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yeah, I like the arrangement better too. It does limit you to Ford radios, but that's not entirely an issue.

Reply to
Questions