HVLP spray systems

Anyone got any recommendations for a reasonably priced HVLP spray system? Will shortly have a large wooded garage to spray with preservative and I've bought an Landrover to fix up that will require painting. Being a Landrover it doesn't need a concourse finish so just looking for something reasonably priced that will do a decent job.

Reply to
Homer

I've heard the Apollo stuff is OK as a one off job, or just hang on until the next Aldi compressor special (they usually go an accessory pack too). You might find your local branch still has some, mine has loads left over from it's various tool offers, a couple of compressors, loads of welders, bench saws, drills and drill stands, if I had a couple of hundred quid and a more workshop like shed instead of dump store I would be ready for anything.

Reply to
Elder

I have an Apollo one - the actual model no longer made. But I expect the current one although looking different is similar. Cost 200 quid approx. Works very well on all the types of paint I've tried it on - and easily portable which was a prime consideration for me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any big compressor, and a cheap HVLP gun off ebay / sunday market.

However, I'd check you can get the paint you need for the Landy before you start buying kit...

Reply to
Doki

You don't need a big compressor for HVLP - that's the whole beauty. It can use something more akin to a large fan. A compressor is a poor way of delivering high volume low pressure - unless you want it for high pressure things too.

My local place will still supply cellulose to order.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep. But you're more likely to come across a cheap second hand compressor than a cheap second hand turbine, and you will want to be able to run a DA and blow gun if you're doing painting.

Reply to
Doki

The snag is that a compressor with a suitable and constant airflow will be a big one - and therefore bulky/heavy. You'll also need to provide some means of drying the air it produces.

I sort of assumed the OP wanted a complete system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Two ways of going at the same problem. The turbine systems sound good but a compressor can do more than one task. Certainly I'd get one of the turbine sets if I needed portable, but for workshop stuff, a big second hand compressor is probably cheaper.

Reply to
Doki

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be looking for an Apollo as the portability will be usefull. The compressor and other toys can wait till the garage is actually up :-)

Reply to
Homer

It was essential for me as I don't have a garage or even off road parking

- living in London. My main storage for this sort of thing is the cellar - so it needs to be light and compact.

Lucky you. ;-)

Another use for the Apollo turbine is blowing through copper water pipes to dry them out before soldering - if you're modifying an existing installation and have water lying. I've also made up an adaptor to fit an air gun so it can be used for the sort of things you'd use it with a normal compressor. It is a bit noisy, though. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)