I solved my car dilemmas! (Long)

Yeah, I am looking for something fun, My moan is more that I'm actually finding it hard to convince myself to part with the cash and then inevitably lose money, rather than decide what car I want :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Want an MR2 T-bar, '97, for £1650? If I remove the satnav gear and fit a new alternator, that's what I'll take for it.

It might depreciate a little bit still, but not much ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Oh, there are many, but here's my problem again - I'd use it a lot as a daily driver as it's . I could buy a nice Scimitar or a Triumph Vitesse for what I want to spend and it would be a minter. It might not be by the time I've had if for two years though. I like to use the cars, not clean them incessantly and I'd be scared of it rotting away before me or me "spoiling" a good classic that could be better treated by someone else IYSWIM.

We're going to look at another MX-5 tonight. I wanted an MGB, but I reckon spending the same amount on a MX-5 will get me a car that does the same thing as a B, but doesn't break down or leak oil all over my drive ;-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Have you got pics? Missus wants a trip to Scotland as it happens..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

You are excused then. Want plenty of photos of our colonial cousins in black.

Reply to
Elder

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A very large percentage of new cars have been damaged & repaired in transit to this country/the dealer - and the customer never knows.

Reply to
Adrian

"AstraVanMann" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Only the 2.2HDi comes with manual box - and that loses a RAFT of kit over the v6s - adjustable dampers, pop-up rear spoiler, pyrotechnic bonnet...

Don't get PSA autoboxes confused with Renault - La Regie make their own, badly. PSA use proper ZF boxes.

Reply to
Adrian

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

BX, CX, XM, Xant, C5 etc etc.

Reply to
Adrian

Because for some reason, you reply to every one of my posts in the same patronising manner, disagreeing with everything I say as if you're doing me a favour and 'educating' me - then go on to talk about SteveH/Passats/etc etc etc.

Reply to
DanB

ISTR I was the one who posted that first in that other thread heh. If I don't know about it, I can't be upset about it - so that's ok :-)

Reply to
DanB

Aisin, in this case. I assume it's the same box as fitted to the 407 Coupe.

I'm pretty hacked off with Peugeot - they've discontinued the GT spec. coupes, replacing them with a cut down 'Sport Multimedia' - which is missing the lovely saddle stitch leather, JBL audio, front parking sensors (lets be honest, with a nose that big, you'll need them), bi-xenon headlamps and a few other more minor bits and pieces.

I had been kind of hoping to force a deal on a new one, with their 0% finance deal, but it looks like I'll have to settle for one that's a couple of years old instead.

Reply to
SteveH

Since you mentioned PSA slushboxes, do you have any experience of the EGS? Sounds like an automated manual box.

Chris Bartram

Yeah, and I heard about someone who bought a CVT Micra who then went on to get syphilis. What are you trying to say, Steve?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Chris Bartram gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not personally, but everybody that I've spoken to who has tried it _loves_ it.

Reply to
Adrian

Looks like it's yet another self-destructing Sillyspeed / DSG box.

Reply to
SteveH

A fellow Skonut bought a 1200 mile from new 1984 120L estelle from an old bloke.

There was a little overspray on the wing but no sign of bog or dents visible inside the panel.

The concesus was that it was damaged on the boat over. They weren't loaded below deck like modern western cars, they lived on top in any space available. They were strapped down but a lot of heavy tat on the deck wasn't.

Reply to
Elder

An acquaintance is about to buy one. He test drove it and liked it, but I didn't even know PSA did such a thing.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

It is a sillyspeed/dsg type thing, but no idea if it self-destructs. Sillyspeed is pretty notorious, but I haven't heard any DSG horror stories yet.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I've heard rumours of issues with hotter versions.

Reply to
SteveH

Do DSGs self destruct then? They struck me as much more likely to work in principle than the wop offering.

Reply to
Douglas Payne