MR2 or 200SX...

I am selling the MR2.. but I have an opportunity to swap for a Nissan

200SX Touring auto.

Auto appeals to me a lot for motorway runs. The 200SX should have a sensible size of boot, has aircon, and rear seats.

Should I just hope the MR2 sells, or is the 200SX so much more suited to motorway rushing about that it's worth it?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

I was at a garage earlier, saw a car and thought of you and Adrian. I doubt either of you would be interested though.

Citroen XM Turbodiesel Auto. P reg, green, 68k miles, looks very tidy, new spheres etc. It's advertised at £1500 (and getting a whole load of enquiries from Citroen Beards), but yours for £1k.

Seemed expensive to me, until I saw it.

Reply to
Pete M

Damn, if I wasn't saving up to move to the USA, I'd have that myself!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Pete M gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm thoroughly recovered from XM ownership now. Although I still have quite a bit of Richard's old XM in one of my lockups.

Reply to
Adrian

I still want another one.

Though the words "turbo" and "auto" fill me with dread.

Hell. Automatic XMs of ANY flavour. I love the concept. The execution... should be reserved for the person that actually designed it.

68K miles means it has another 2,000 before the gearbox falls out.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Richard Kilpatrick gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's a 2.1TD. It's not exactly a ball of fire.

My TCT auto was absolutely fine.

Says the man who sold me one with four bloody pedals.

Oooh, you drama queen. The box in mine was fine when I sold it at 145k. Just change the 'box oil with the engine oil - you only get about a litre or so out the drain plug. You can do the lot in one go by pulling the cooler pipes, but I never bothered.

Reply to
Adrian

What spec / year is the MR2 and how much is it likely to fetch, and what year / miles is the S14, how much history has it got and have they mentioned any mods?

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Oh, I don't know, mine would indicate 130mph where allowed

The TCT estate I had was fine when I sold it at 140k too, it had just had the fluid changed a lot.

Ace cars, do they have them in the USA?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

My second-to-last TCT was precisely that. XM Flambe.

I liked that car. Until it all went wrong. Actually, were it not for the time spent lurking in the garage, I reckon I'd have had it repiped if I'd got someone willing to change the exhaust manifold gasket.

Well, that's making me feel a touch more confident about the TCT Autos I've been offered. I'd /prefer/ the auto, but I don't want to buy something that's going to have to deal with my 3,000 miles in a month workload and expire very quickly :(

I did consider selling the Ignis and buying a nice XM 2.5TD Estate. But the 2.5s worry me with their headgaskets.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Richard Kilpatrick gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How'd you do that...?

It's not the HG. They crack the head...

Reply to
Adrian

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

About three of 'em. Hideously expensive, and all early ones.

Reply to
Adrian

Bugger. I suppose 2CVs are even rarer?

Think I'll be buying a Saab 900 SPG (what they call a T16) from my mate over there and a crotch rocket to go with it.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Are they weldable heads? I had a Suzuki GXSR750 that dropped a valve and cracked the head quite badly when the piston came back up. A machine shop in Burnley of all places welded it back together for me..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, plenty of 'em.

Reply to
Adrian

Even if they are, that's "getting someone else to do the work", which invariably results in my getting annoyed with their inability to do it, the stuff they broke whilst doing it, and the fact that it's not working right now it's done.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Oil feed to the turbo came off and spewed oil over the exhaust, apparently...

Ah, I knew it was something head-related and expensive. I like 2.0 8v injection petrol ones best, really. No turbos, no diesel, just nice, simple, slightly more solid than cheese alloy petrol engines.

Though given I only plan to run it for a short time, a V6 is very, very tempting.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Likely to fetch is an odd one. I'm asking £2395 for it, and getting daft offers, but it's a 1997 T-bar, UK car.

The S14 is a year older, slightly lower mileage, and slightly modded. I can just about live with the exhaust, but I'm less keen on the 40mm drop.

Still, it's better than a "1991 Honda City for the MR2 and £200" one joker has suggested.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Is the drop on lowered springs or proper height and preload adjustable coilovers? 200SX have quite reasonably priced coilovers available, springs are not a usual way of lowering unless using TEIN ATX or other JDM "brand lable" shock, so it may be very easy to jack it back up to giraffe mode. With that amount of drop it should have camber adjustable front top mounts and camber arms fitted at rear. It will need a full laser align after to re-set camber, about £45-50 if you shop around (or DIY with sprit level and then 4 wheel tracking at any tyre shop). If springs too hard a change of springs on coilovers isn't hard, no need for spring compressors you just back the preload off until it's loose and take the top mount off.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Random point, I've known 3 people with with 200SXs, and the aircon was dead on all of them. They were all told "Just needs a regas" - but when is that ever true...?

Reply to
DanB

Never. I was told that when I bought a Daimler some time ago. On the trip home from having bought it (I didn't believe the silly bugger but the price was OK and I could get it fixed by a friend) there was a big bang, and a stink of burning.

I thought I'd really got a lemon at that point, and got an RAC tow home.

It turned out that the muggins selling it had decided that the failure was really to do with the ECU so he'd wired the climate control using Scotchlocks and flying leads so that the magnetic clutch never declutched. The compressor then ran all the time even if the aircon was off. Eventually the lack of refrigerant caused by a leak lead to the compressor running without oil, seizing, burning through the drive belt, hence "bang".

That cost me more than I had expected :-(

Reply to
Steve Firth