I've been thinking again, and that is always dangerous...

Not always, indeed, not much at a cruising speed. At a very low speed, more seeps under the bonnet, but here's where your turbine won't work.

Most of these don't do much at a cruise, because they don't need to.

Reply to
DervMan

Hmmm nice... but see below.

I agree for the most part, except, if you have been cruising and then get bogged down in traffic, it's possible to maintain a cool and dry interior without running the compressor all of the time. More hassle than it's usually worth usually and the larger the lump of torque available low down, the less the advantage. Kermit's air conditioning compressor added 40% to the idle fuel consumption... :)

Reply to
DervMan

I wouldn't say it's a totally mental plan :-)

How much energy would you bleed off from braking into the battery and how? Most vehicles already have a limited amount of this in that when you lift off the accelerator the engine is being turned by the moving mass of the vehicle and not the fuel but the alternator is still being turned and producing output.

Reply to
rp

There are some intresting developments in ultra light (if you forgive the saying) solar pannels thar are printed on using nothing mor complex than a big ink jet printer. Give it a couple of years and it could become standard practice to print the roof of a hybrid adding virtualy no extra mass or cost to the car.

Depresion

Or something like a Prius designed specifically for a low CdA with a flat bottom and light weight wheels. If you want to make it cheaper to run stick LPG on it the engine has a normal DBW ECU.

Reply to
Depresion

Yes, you could add some sort of movable flap so they only operate when you are slowing down but that will still be less efficient than turning the electric motor with the wheels as a generator. Get a Prius or Lexus Hybrid.

Reply to
Depresion

280 lb ft, enough to run an aircon compressor without flinching :-)
Reply to
Pete M

It seems like I was wrong all along, it can never work and no serious company would ever dream of planning to try any of it.

Or not. Would a company like Mitsubishi, even as a concept, waste shareholder's and investor's money on even dreaming of this is physics bitch slapped the concept into tomorrow so far that even the multiverse wouldn't help?

Reply to
carl.robson

Of course if one makes a very lightweight, flat bottom, car then it becomes more efficient when used with petrol/diesel as well as electricity. And given that petrol/diesel is a denser and lighter form of energy than any battery yet designed it does mean that a fuelled vehicle would piss all over an EV, like for like.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, because making a fake appeal to "green" sensibilities has sales value.

If that fan generates enough electricity to make a significant difference then it is going to generate enough drag to make a significant (and negative) difference.

Ye canna change the laws of physics captain.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But to do any good you still need a roof bigger than your house to go slowly in a noddy car.

Reply to
Burgerman

Well, other than the laws of thermodynamics, which has been explained by others... it probably wouldn't be a good idea from a reliability point of view. The best things to do is remember Tom De Moor's Add Less Weight mantra, and bare in mind that greater the number of energy conversion points, the less efficient the car will be.

I saw a show on one of the Discovery channels yesterday where Captain Dick from Scrapheap Challenge and his friend converted an old Toyota pick-up to run on gas from heating wood in the back. Interesting concept, but a bit wacky. Not particularly user-friendly either.

Reply to
conkersack

That's a very old game innit? Popular during WW2 in eg France. Ah yes

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Yeah, but Captain Dick and his sidekick were 'keen' to show the technology off after seeing it done by a Swedish chap on t'interweb, who they then had to invite over to get it going as they couldn't figure out how to. A ploy for the screen, no-doubt.

Interestingly, it didn't do too well on smooth roads as the heated wood wasn't being shaken up enough in the cylinder like it was on the rough off-road tracks.

Reply to
conkersack

I said Chrysler 300c sized, not necessarily a 300c. Just a proper sized car, not some in town 2+midget shopping trolley. A proper composite shell, tube chassis and decent modern batteries could reduce the bulk considerably and still have a light for it's size car that could still carry a family plus luggage easily.

Reply to
Elder

Battery = heavy. Lithium battery = still just as heavy but now more capacity can be fitted instead giving better than milk float performance. Trouble is that lithium ion or polymer batteries would cost as much as your house and need throwing away every 300 trips.

Reply to
Burgerman

Is that all?

Pah. My low blow turbo produces only 100 lbsft less... :)

Reply to
DervMan

I have you both beat. :)

Reply to
Depresion

Ok let's look at the Tesler sports car, it's a 2 sweater composite body runs on lithium Ion betters and costs ~$90k, a little over a third of that is battery. Lithium Ion batteries are about the best you can buy for energy density, they also don't have the problem of a "memory" that you get from NiCad, but they degrade both when stored charged or discharged and will only have a 3-5 year usable life. Would you be happy with a £15k bill every 4 years? Ok it's a pure electric vehicle but if you wanted a decent range from a hybrid you would still need a big battery pack. I'll look out the books I have on building an electric car if you want so you can order them up on Amazon US. They will give you an idea of how much battery capacity you need.

Reply to
Depresion

I get close to pete

258 lb. ft of torque from a diddly little 2.3
Reply to
Elder