Minireview: BMW X6

I drove past one earlier. Only one thought: WHAT THE FUCK?

Reply to
Doki

Couldn't agree more. I've seen one or two floating about. What *were* they thinking?

Reply to
L'homme d'AstraVan

Probably the same as they were when they came up with the X5 and the X3. "Let's milk this SUV thing while we can."

BTW, with a great effort of will I have translated your name into German. AstraVanMann.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Completely agree looks wise. It seems to be a case of "lets build a variation of the 6 series, blow it with a pump, jack it up, and give it no rear headroom whatsoever.

However, it totally and utterly wipes the floor with the RR Sport V8 and is at least £10k cheaper! (And does 30mpg and is only in band f for tax.)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Surely it's a bit pointless when Porsche build the Cayenne.

Incidentally - have you seen how cheap those things are now? (relatively speaking, anyway - a decent V8 'S' model comes in at around £17k)

Reply to
SteveH

Have you ever sat in one? They're bloody awesome.

Reply to
DanB

scrub through tyres mind the porsche that is

Reply to
Vamp

The boot is a joke as well. Porker seem to have entirely missed the point of an SUV. Mind you, so have VW because the Touareg is also a joke. Yes I know they are (much) the same vehicle.

A Range Rover boot is nothing to write home about, but it is usable. The Cayenne has room for a pair of moon boots and a designer handbag.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So the point of the Cayenne hasn't totally escaped you then? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Ok and compare then the Overfinch to a Cayenne Brabus.

It might be hurtfull.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Indeed the Posche Owner is going to feel really stupid. But then they did have a head start in the "stupid" stakes.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Cayenne is still the most disappointing car I've driven in recent history, as I posted a couple of weeks ago. Great engine, but the rest of it was upremittingly awful.

Tuning it would just make an awful car into a faster awful car, and one I still have no desire to drive. As I posted weeks ago, the Cayenne Turbo must be silly-fast, but I still don't want one.

Reply to
Pete M

i thought Brabus only did Mercs?

There's a M Class Brabus and a Cayenne Turbo on our estate - wouldn't mind having to choose between those two.

Reply to
Grant

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not just round you, mate.

Reply to
Adrian

Awful is the meaning of lacking kitch, lacking the Italian touch, a bit boring.

But it will last and within 15 years form now the interior, the switches will still work, boring as they may be, but as desiged.

Reply to
Tom De Moor

No, that's pretty much the exact opposite of what I mean.

It's not pretty, the ride is awful, the throttle and brake pedals are difficult to modulate smoothly, and it only really handles well when the suspension is set to "Sport" - which utterly ruins the small amount of ride quality has.

I've not disagreed with that at all. I agree entirely. The interior is well built, the switches switch well, and I actually think the interior is quite nice. It's just a shame it's a nasty thing to spend time in once it's moving.

Reply to
Pete M

I've got a Ford SUV for which that is true. It cost less than any Cayenne and it's faster than the Cayenne. Well, faster across a ploughed field.

The Cayenne would make sense if it were sold in the UK for the same price it is sold for in the USA (£22,000 for the base model). In the UK it makes no sense at all.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They also did a German model sSangyong Musso petrol for the German market.

Reply to
Elder

Ah, focus groups. Run by people with no sense of humour.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nope: Brabus works for anybody who brings them a wheelbarrow filled with money.

Porsche and Merc aren't really ennemies: their cars compete in different segments. Porsche nooses from time to time in the Merc parts bin and vise versa.

If however ultrafast Porsche is your aim, then there is another name to ring: Ruf. I believe Ruf has "a little upgrade" costing the price of a house, for the Cayenne...

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor