Been thinking...

about a LR PCV minibus, probably to carry about 12.

notwithstanding that the 101 is a tempting idea, as is the 6x6 disco, the latter would still not hold enough people, and the former might be tricky and/or expensive to keep running on a day-to-day basis.

So, on to today's thoughts:

Take a 110 rolling chassis, and mount a transit minibus body on it. Would doubtless require a certain amount of modification to the bulkhead etc., but since the body would stop being structural (except in as much as it needed to be to hold itself together, and provide seat and belt anchor points) then that wouldn't be a problem. It could be built using a new chassis and suitable donor parts, or indeed I suppose by buying new parts to create a rolling chassis.

question is, will the council give me a lucrative enough contract to pay for it, and for the PCV licence to drive it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:57:50 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

130 station wagon?

just a thought.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Austin Shackles vaguely muttered something like ...

This might sound like a stupid question .. but why won't a 'normal' transit etc minibus do ?

Kudos for wanting everything Landrover, but there are practicalities and cost-effectiveness to consider, I guess .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Will a Transit fulfil the need Austin has for rugged, get the little sods to skool whatever the weather, viability though? Fine, it may be great for the local urban school, but in the wild wastes of mid south wales...

Reply to
Mother

Mother"

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Twas Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:57:06 -0000 when "Paul - xxx" put finger to keyboard producing:

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mr.Nice. vaguely muttered something like ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I remember trying to get my 90 up a pass in the Lakes one New Years. There were patches of ice right across the road.

Even with diff-locks it was next to impossible to get the 90 forwards. I was with a chap in a lightweight who locked his hubs and pi$$ed up the hill. Prop locks just didn't help. Need a nice set of ARB Lockers!!!!

In saying that, we both got over taken by a Maestro who pi$$ed off into the distance and we never saw him again!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Paul - xxx blithered:

Reply to
GbH

Twas Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:02:47 GMT when "Tim Guy" put finger to keyboard producing:

He probably slipped into a gulley and is still there today, we can hope. ;o)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:41:47 -0000 when "Paul - xxx" put finger to keyboard producing:

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Would this be the Rhino Pass leading to Hardnott Fort?

Did this last week... It's about as much fun as you can get on Tarmac, like a sketch from the Italian job. And my first trip to the Lakes.

When we got to Hardknott fort (Roman Fort, still standing - well worth a visit!) one of the Chaps who'd been behind thanked me for being at the front in the Disco, given there are very few passing points the height of the Disco gave us some great advantage in seeing other vehicles coming. The gearing also meant we could steam up the winding trecherous hillside clearing the way for the convoy that followed, who had they had to stop would have been seriously compromising there clutches.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Wrynose Pass maybe? They have a bike race there in the summer, I have never seen so many punters so exhausted. one guy was bombing along the downhill stretch, probably the leader as he was the first we knew of it, when his forks broke. Amazing the tumble didn't appear to cost him any damage.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

The 4x4 transits probably will - those things are scarily proficient offroad.

Finding a 4x4 Tourneo could take a bit more doing though.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Well I have taken my limo around some of the wild roads of Wales, a bit of nuisance when you meet a tractor coming the other way. In fact I think my limo was actually easier to manouver in a tight spot, at least there was power steering.

Reply to
Larry

Done that in my limo too. The really fun road is the one to Applecross in the West of Scotland as there are some tight bends there that make driving a stretch job "interesting."

I drove a hire car up an icy Bylwch y Groes one Christmas Day, with one hand on the wheel and the other out of the window holding a video camera, yep my hand got pretty cold as it was snowing at the time too.

I was not in the least concerned about losing control (nor did I), it being a hire job and all, though it would have been harder if it had not been an auto.

Reply to
Larry

That'll be the one, never saw it on the map myself, Mrs D was navigating. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:19:56 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

the route favours the extra toughness and 4x4... the current disco does well enough, but next year won't have enough seats, even with my bench seat mod in the back.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:48:37 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

not allowed. You have to have forward facing seats (or, in fact, rearward I think). can't get enough in the 110. with the mod to the disco, it now carries 7 pax. more than 8 pax. is PCV territory anyway, except for private use.

there are considerable advantages of a LR chassis over a transit and especially over a 4x4 transit - the latter is a conversion in any case.

There are also advantages of the transit body, from the POV of side doors, space, windows, seats etc. combining the 2 would make a seriously good vehicle, in fact - and a TDi LR for example would be comparable on fuel costs to a transit, I reckon.

It's not entirely a new idea - the bedford midi van (which is of course japanese) has been fitted to what is basically an isuzu 4x4 chassis, by the manufacturers. Very credible-looking vehicle that was, an' all.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:40:45 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

I think the 4x4 trannies are only large, twin-wheel ones. Thus, in fact, they actually have 6 tyres which helps off-road.

I don't think there is one, off the shelf.

What I'm suggesting is the normal 12-seat minibus body which is a normal single-wheel van. I've not in fact measured the wheelbase, but it can't be far off 110" The smaller sherpas are a bit longer wheelbase, but their rear wheels are nearer the back.

Reply to
Austin Shackles