Increaseing capacity

Its a different kettle of fish, hundreds of people have fitted VR6's + there are plenty of written guides and stripping simple engines like the Golf GTi

1.8 8v is childs play. Boreing out a block is nothing more than accurately clamping an engine block and drilling it out slowly, i've watched a couple of engines being done and the machine pretty much does it on its own much like the machines used for skimming a head.

I havn't given a 205 intercooler any thought and it would depend very much upon the size of the intercooler and the space available in order to do the work which would require re-jiggleing (technical term there) of the radiator, slam planel and front bumper.

Reply to
REMUS

I've got a 120 mb video of a mk2 vr6 going round a track, seemed ok to me but it looked pretty well sorted.

You can use several gear box's, vr6 items arn't very expensive and go for around £100 and £300 from a scrap yard.

hehe maybe, but we will see ;)

Reply to
REMUS

It is indeed. An intercooler is essentially an extra, small radiator. Whereas a VR6 into a MkII is a pretty major engineering project.

Of course it is....that's why every backstreet mechanic is doing it and charging peanuts.

It's a skilled job, and one which you don't appear to have the mental capacity to do. Here's a hint: it's all in the preparation and calculations.

Think creative. You obviously don't know what a 205 Auto bonnet looks like.

Think Pulsar GTiR.

Reply to
SteveH

It would be cheaper / easier to either buy one that's already been done or just buy a MkIII VR6.

Reply to
SteveH

I've got a list, it will be down to luck and chance as to what I can get off cars from the scrap yard.

Reply to
REMUS

1.9 Turbo in a BX? AFAIK they came in 1.7 and 1.9 NA and 1.7 TD. 1.9TD came in the Xantia (and various pugs).

The TD has an intercooler (on top of the engine) - does this mean you chucked it out?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

To be fair they can handle quite well IF you spend a decent amount of money on a good suspension setup including the right anti-roll bars.

Reply to
Homer

This is Reamed Arse we're talking about. Even if he gets the engine in, do you really think he'll get the suspension set up properly using quality bits?

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah the intercooler is still there but it is a completely pathetic design, it might as well be an inter-warmer for all the good it does so I don't even count it. If I were to do anything to increase performance it would be a front mounted intercooler.

Reply to
REMUS

Of course he will, he's got £250 a week to spend on it :-)

Reply to
Homer

£300 I will have you know! ;)

I already have a fairly large amount of money saved for a project such as this.

Reply to
REMUS

Got a total cost estimate to go with it?

Reply to
Homer

As far as I can see it's ride height they bother about. No worries about me running different dampers and polybushes, strengthened wishbones etc. if I want. Which I could actually afford and manage to do...

Reply to
doki

Well, it will be a good experiance I think. I just hope it doesn't end up half finished.

Steve have you actually ever done one of these, it is seriously easy. There is a calculation chart, you just bolt the block in and the machine aligns itself and buzz's away for about 30 mins. It's idiot proof since it is self calibrating.

Sound like it would be a pain to get hold of.

Reply to
REMUS

So have you still got it on top of the engine? If you have I'm pretty sure that wouldnt have cleared the standard bonnet, unless you fabriacted some sort of different engine mounting to let the engine sit lower, which would have been pretty stupid!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well it closes without wacking anything, we had to move an engine mount so maybe it does sit slightly lower but not intentionally. But it has been fine for 5k miles now so I guess everything is fine plus it was inspected by the garage.

Reply to
REMUS

Would like to see a pic of that!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

£980 as it stands but you can put another £100-200 ontop for the gear box.
Reply to
REMUS

There's a rule when doing this. Price everything up and add at least

50%.

So that'll be over £1500, probably closer to £2k, if you're lucky.

And that won't be including doing a proper job of making it handle properly.

Reply to
SteveH

I'll take one for you on Wednesday since I don't get back from work until

9.15 tomorrow, lovely 12 hour shift :(
Reply to
REMUS