Kia Soul

Drove one around Scotland, taking in all kinds of driving, including what must be Z-roads (if you continue the theme of A roads and B roads). Surprisingly good to drive, looks strange (and wheels too small), low-speed ride too crashy (bigger wheels would make this worse), totally gutless below 2000RPM, then just mildly gutless above

2000RPM. You have to drop two gears to overtake or go up a hill. Bigger petrol engine or good TD would improve it no end. Quiet. Could do 4-6 hours of challenging roads without getting too knackered. No numb bum from the comfortable seats. A/C not OTT, just feels like cold, fresh air rather than chemically. Plastics pretty bad, especially sharp edges on steering wheel centre that is just unacceptable and the door card armrests really make you look like you have oily skin by getting all oily marks on them where your arm/hand's been. It's one of those cars that is infuriating to refuel (pump nozzle goes click click click as if it's full). I think I was geting high 40s/low 50s mpg which is astonishing for a not run-in petrol car that is so bulky and is being driven in the hire-car fashion. Also it doesn't feel so big when you drive, more like a small hatch with a more commanding view of the road. It's only when you have to park that it shows its size. Great wing mirrors make up for crap over-the- shoulder visibility. Steering light in town but very weighty at speed, which I liked. There's actually a decent amount of feel through it and it grips well. I had fun on those highland roads but it made SWMBO feel car-sick like a child when I tried to hustle it along too much.
Reply to
fishman

Interesting.

Kia have made massive improvements over recent years.

I had a Rio 2 for a couple of weeks - it was surprisingly good fun to punt along with its revvy little petrol lump, and had a half decent stereo. Only managed low 30s mpg, though.....

The Soul looks quite funky in the right colour, with chunky alloys.

Saw a Fiat 500 by Diesel today in a shop, supporting a Diesel promo. That was very cool indeed.

-- SteveH

Reply to
SteveH