Minireview: Mitsubishi Galant 2 litre (S reg)

Borrowed a Galant so here's my minireview.

Looks like a shark or something. Feels quite responsive to drive (like a silk glove after the oven glove-like Merc). Firm but quite well damped ride. Doesn't often feel crashy like my old 620Ti did. For a front wheel drive car, the rear end is all over the place, especially in the wet. It doesn't feel very stable at all. Maybe that's down to the rear tyres - Nankang on one side, Tiga (never heard of those) on the other. Excellent on long motorway trips. Cruise control is indeed god's own invention (first time I've used it). Engine very smooth, almost feels like an electric motor the way it whirs away in the background delivering power. Unlike an electric motor it seems to lack torque, in fact I stalled it a couple of times as you need to give it quite a bit of poke to take off on a flat road, even worse given the slightest incline. Once you are underway it accelerates very nicely. Nothing special as my old Lancia or Ti but pretty good for a non forced induction unit. Manual gearbox has a pleasantly short throw and thunks into gear in a nice satisfying way.

Comfortable seats, but they're very tacky looking velour. Electric everything. I think it actually achieves better MPG than my Merc too, so not bad for a 2.0 petrol.

If I was in the market for a comfortable, economical 2 litre petrol saloon I would definitely consider one, but I'd try one with proper rear tyres first! And they cost peanuts too.

Reply to
fishman

Look great, seldom brake down, autobox is odd but manuals OK, V6s excellent but thirsty, 2.0 good enough, crash well.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That doesn't sound too promising..... ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Why did you provide this info in your sig, and more importantly why didn't you inform us of the sig change :)

Reply to
fishman

Heh, I can't be arsed putting my sig into the 'road warrior' machine, so that seemed as good as anything to put in there.

Reply to
SteveH

The V6 one is quite a nice thing, but neither the 2.0 or 2.5 jump well[1]

Otherwise, yeah, I'd agree with everything you wrote.

[1] Ok, they jump well, but it's the landing they're shit at.
Reply to
Pete M

Because it's faster cross-country than anything based on the Golf floorpan.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I picked up an Audi S3 (51 plate) today, and although it's quick and has good traction, it isn't at all interesting to drive. The Recaros are bloody comfy, but that is about the only good thing I have to say about it.

Reply to
Pete M

*gargles a pint of gravel*

"SteveH is.... ROAD WARRIOR!!!!!!! Coming to a Premier Inn near you, certificate to be confirmed".

Reply to
Doki

The one to look at is the 2.5 VR4 Twin Turbo with leather seats. That answers most if not all of your criticims.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Does the S3 have quite the same harsh ride* as the TT?

*Is it possible?
Reply to
DervMan

Has it been fettled at all? I felt in base 225bhp form the performance was a bit disappointing. As you say, good grip - but still very dull to drive. Nice interior. I imagine a remapped one with 260/270bhp would be more amusing, but ultimately still dull.

Reply to
DanB

As long as he's not worried about fuel consumption or braking performance...

It's surprisingly hard to find them with leather seats in as well (on a decent reg plate with low miles).

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I'm pretty sure it's been chipped, and quite possibly slightly lowered. As I say, it goes well, but it's totally uninteresting to drive.

Reply to
Pete M