Land Rover Tomcats

Today at work I had the luck to happen upon a chap who does Hill Rallying. He showed me a couple of the tomcats he builds and races himself. Unfortunately my digital camera took the opportunity to run out of batteries. I was not impressed.

Anyway, since it's late and I've been at work for a considerable length of time today (yesterday) I just thought I'd say how impressed I was at these machines.

Take 1 3.9litre range rover, some tubular bits of steel for a space frame and some fibreglass bits and bobs and you end up with a beast that will easily crack 100mph up any particularly bumpy hill you care to lay your hands on (reckoned he would only do 70 - 80 on a traverse). Best part for me: Bits (£4k) + Labour (5k) = Rediculously fast off road crazier than a crazy five assed monkey road legal hill rally clubman edition Tomcat (£9k) This particular machine was the fastest in Scotland last year. 10th in the UK or something. Cool huh? For 9 grand! Less if you were worth your salt at welding and riveting and suchlike.

Same said chap also showed me his own machine which he had apparently stacked into a fence at a fairly considerable pace recently. It had a very bent rear axle indeed and a slightly mashed front bumper so he wouldnt take us for a run in it. I was disappointed, but the rear axle was very bent. It had a 5 litre TVR V8 under the bonnet. "Only makes about 340 bhp", "maxes out at 125mph", "split rims" and "1400kg" were mentioned in the conversation over the burble of the beast and the roar of the 2 cooling fans on the radiator at the end of all the ducting from the roof to the boot.

Off to bed now, I may have wet dreams...

... squirt ...

Too much information perhaps. Night night anyway. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think i'd rather spend the £9k on a 3.0 Twin Turbo Supra :) It would be a much better daily driver...

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Sounds like the one that was on Top Gear a few weeks ago.

Reply to
Homer

Heh, all good points :) I suppose i could just win the lottery and have both :)

Its sunday and i'm a student on holiday :) Theres 2 reasons why i wouldn't be working :)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Aww, this is one of those "let's agree to disagree" kind of posts (c: Come here and give me a hug!

Snap. Damn. I'm a student and I'm on holiday from studenting at least. At work... at the weekend? Where did I go wrong?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I've seen loads of variations of that thing all made by different companies, very cool but its not a dodge ram and its not a track car.

although it would whip most things round the streets. purely through brute force

Reply to
Theo