Lotus Elise

Are they as good as everyone says? I'm thinking of getting maybe a 2 year old one for my 26th birthday, do you think they're worth the asking price? Or is there anything better for the money?

Reply to
badmission

Could do with a bit more power but thats just my opinion. From what I've read and heard they are a decent car too have fun with.

Reply to
. BaldyBastard .

Yes. Usable everyday if you keep to a quiet exhaust and standard spec, and are slim enough to not look an arse getting in and out of it. Stunning grip and control. Economical in town and at legal speeds. Insurance is heavy.

Personally I don't think so if you're after a pure driving machine, for more comforts MR2 / MGTF have an edge but nothing close on the handling at the price.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No, they're terrible. Underpowered, uncomfortable and not something that's fun to live with on a day to day basis unless you're 5 foot tall and weigh about 7 stone.

Depends what you want it for.

Again, depends on what you want to do in it.

Reply to
Lordy

car and slither

hmmm sounds kinda like my MK1 but you get used to rolloing out the car and rolling back in :)

Reply to
Vamp

Worth the asking price if you can live with the compromises *and* if you can learn to drive one. Almost every s/h Elise owner I have known has written off the car within a few months of buying it because they don't realise who nasty the handling can get in the wet.

Vauxhall VX220 is a better car, should be the same money or even less. It's a "softer" car than the Elise and unless your idea is to cane the car exclusively at track days then the Vauxhall is the one to go for.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Strange... the better car stays unsold in every Opel-dealership whereas the Lotus-dealer is short of kicking you out if you mention that the asking price is somewhat important.

Opel-dealers on the other hand give reduction up to 15% on the Speedster (VX220 as known to you) and I imagine that prices of owned vehicules will drop sharply when the turbo-version is released.

My advice : stick the Lotus.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I like the VX220 too, but you don't seem to see many for sale atm, I would not mind one of these either. I am 6'3" but I have driven one before on a track and I seemed to have tons of room, not sure if that changes with the hard top though.

I usually suffer from lack of head room with cars.

Does either of these cars have PAS, becuase I'm not a big fan of this?

Reply to
badmission

Reply to
Parkie

It's maybe best if you give this a topic all of it's own.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of help from the group with this one...

Reply to
John Fitzgerald

Whatcha want for a start is a new topic. I've done that for you. Now, over to the rest of them to take the piss.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Gimme the car and a blank cheque (10K ish) and I can do it for you,

2500miles an engine okay with you?

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Well after a 1800 mile round trip in my 205, and a Lotus Elise in convoy, i say ignore anyone who says its uncomfortable as a day to day car. The guy in the passenger seat was quite happy falling asleep along the motorways, and neither of them complained of any discomfort at any point during the journey. Fecking quick at legal speeds (and a bit above), amazing road holding abilities yet still economical and reliable.

The actual model was a 111S (154bhp 1.8 VVC engine) in dark blue and looks absolutely stunning.

Go for it IMHO, if you enjoy driving, you'll love the Elise.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

or

Plenty of 300+ nhp fiestas on threre. They will be able to help.

Reply to
Ricky Gervais

Err... 100BHp @ 1500 rpm?? Don't think so - more like 30Bhp...

100lbft of torque, perhaps?

It's actually a pretty decent engine - it's got a pretty high specific torque output (96nm/litre), and it'll rev to 7000rpm. The VVC system gives a more progressive transition between profiles than Honda's VTEC system, and gives a fairly flat torque curve. As with all K-series engines, if the coolant level drops, then there is a real danger of cylinder head gasket failure, but otherwise it's a pretty reliable engine.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

I didn't really pay attention to the original post, but yeah, you're right.

100bhp @ 1500rpm would equate to 350 ft lbs...impressive for a 1.8l engine ;-)
Reply to
Jamesy

Get the VX, you won't regret it.

See

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Until some one asks you what you drive and they will be half way across the room by the end of vauxha

Reply to
Depresion

And in other news Depresion is quoted as saying:

Same as ownin an escort cossie, would you really like to start your answer with ford escort.

You could always do it the bond way, "Cosworth, Escorth Cosworth" :)

Reply to
Chet

Driven by Bond, James Bond? I tend to start with the age of the car, then again by the time I've finish listing them they are half way to Devon never mind across the room. :)

Reply to
Depresion