Dipped Headlights.

Seems we have to drive with dipped headlights at all times, from 2011.

tox

Reply to
Your Worst Nightmare

"Your Worst Nightmare" wrote in message news:2zywj.16112$% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...

Good. I always do anyway

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Your Worst Nightmare" wrote in message news:2zywj.16112$% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...

I guess he reads The Mail. I'll be the polite one and post the link.

Graham

"Your Worst Nightmare" wrote in message news:2zywj.16112$% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...

*WE* don't. Drivers of new cars may have to.
Reply to
Matt

I wonder how they arrive at this conclusion-

"According to the European Commission, car lights in daytime could reduce deaths by 3 to 5 per cent, equivalent to 1,200 to 2,000 fatalities a year across the EU."

No doubt someone was paid a lot of money to come up with that.

Reply to
Morse

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:31:58 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Your Worst Nightmare:

Good!

I sometimes drive with dipped headlights on in the day time. No, I don't drive a Vuvla...

Reply to
Alex Buell

Nobody really needs to comply with this nonsense. We should be telling our government to get stuffed, and they in turn should go and tell the EU to get stuffed; and that can be the end of the problem.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

in

WEll if it's accurate then it would be seriously good value for money.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

What's wrong with simply looking where the f*ck you're going? Christ, before long, pedestrians will have mandatory miners head-torches.

Reply to
JamesB

why would you NOT want an increase in safety and a reduction in deaths?

A decrease in bulb life is insignificant and you would not notice any change in economy either, so no problem, really.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Which demonstrates a lack of understanding of the reason for lights on vehicles.

Reply to
Brimstone

About time too!

Now if PC Plod could just enforce the law that is already in place - dipped headlights should be used in heavy rain or murky conditions then that would would make things a little safer before 2011.

AND if they could get the f*****g idiots who persist in using front and rear foglights in clear, night time conditions to turn them off [legally these should only be used in fog or falling snow]- then that would be even better!

BRG

Reply to
BRG

Some hope when some coppers even fail to comply with the law!

Reply to
Brimstone

Unless there's some reason for generating light which excludes humans, I'd say their reason is to be seen by eyes. So it still does come down to looking where the f*ck you're going.

Reply to
Chris Lawrence

But it isn't!

It is just more EU bollox

Reply to
Martin

Full agreement there, I reported one a few months ago for driving whilst using a mobile phone in his patrol car going through a crowded town centre with the phone in one hand, head cocked to one side and laughing his head off - hardly in a position to concentrate on his driving :-)

Had a nice letter back off a police inspector - but I doubt if they will actually take any notice of the complaint.

BRG

Reply to
BRG

Seconded. I'd also add those super bright blue headlamps into that category too. On unlit rural roads they dazzle me more than the kids with the fogs.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

I certainly would like to see improved safety and a reduction in deaths, but I don't think this is a sensible way to seek it.

I'm not concerned about a reduction in bulb life, though it might be significant (depending on our pattern of car use) or the tiny effect on fuel economy. I'm just rather fed up of all the 'Directives' and other crap emanating from the EU, on top of all the nonsense we get from our own government. Most of these people are just an expensive pain in the arse, and *we* are having to pay for it all.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

I'm sure we all appreciate why we need lights on vehicles. The point is they need to be used sensibly, and I don't think this idea is helping to promote that.

In any case are we not out of date here? I thought I'd heard that the EU had given up on this idea.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Sadly Dave, many people don't. They think the only reason to have lights on a motor vehicle is to illuminate the road ahead.

Coming from someone who takes his driving seriously I find that suprising.

Reply to
Brimstone