Paging Albert T Cone

306 pics, as promised:

Oh, and for the entertainment of all others, he's one I prepared earlier:

JackH

That isn't entertaining, even for me and as I think everybody knows, I dislike Passats.*

*although I did entertain buying an early TDI 90 or 110 because I'm tight and they're uneconomical.
Reply to
DervMan

Well apparently it's Cat C - having gone to the approved repairers to make sure it was still there given that's what the insurance bods told me yesterday, I now find it's been relocated to a salvage yard in Wimbourne, Dorset.

'Humm... it's still my car (1) til we reach agreement on a settlement? Oh, and while we're here, how much is the salvage up for?'

'You may need to deal with the third party company.'

'Erm, no - my car, you've got to reach a settlement with me on it, I'm not lining some third parties pocket if I do decide to buy it back or want decide to insist you're to repair it rather than write it off'.

They've told said company not to touch it for now.

Humm... :-P

Just got off the phone to the hire company - I've elected to pay a bit extra and got an upgrade (or at least I hope it's an upgrade), from a Corsa 1.2 to a Focus 1.8.

(1) Well technically, anyway - the finance company own it, but all the time I'm responsible for the outstanding debt on it, I think I'll have my say on the matter???

Reply to
JackH

D'oh - for "uneconomical" read: "economical" heh.

Reply to
DervMan

I like that facelifted version. Mine's the one before that, with the non-circular foglights and hidden exhaust.

Nice

Reply to
Abo

I'm not just saying it because I've said I'll try and punt it on for my mate (well, I technically own 2/3rds of it, but it looks really nice for its age. :-)

*cough* £1500 if anyone in here wants it before I lob it on ebay.

Not really - I bloody love that car! :'(

Reply to
JackH

Shiny-shiny! Looks nice. I'd be tempted, but I really need an estate. Out of interest, how do they remap? I know there is no intercooler, so options are a bit limited, but still - ?

:-(

Reply to
Albert T Cone

ECU out, EEPROM removed, wiped, map uploaded.

Not had it on the rollers yet, so no idea on actual gains, but it's fair to say it's a lot more pokey now than it was. :-)

Others have retrofitted a front mount intercooler with reportedly good gains, and I was going to look into doing this had I decided to keep it.

It's a Passat... you should be pleased. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Right, Jolly good. Cheers for that. You don't happen to have the .HEX file for the EEPROM, do you? If it happened to wing it's way in my direction, a handful of beer tokens might be sent in retaliation...

Hmmm. 'inneresting.

Heh. I don't despise them - I think they are very worthy, but terminally dull, family wagons. It's when people ludicrously praise them for their dynamics that I get all het up... :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I need to know which make ECU it is, as they used several different types on these apparently, and the ECU number.

I can then but ask the chappie down the unit if I can 'borrow' a copy of it, as my mate no longer runs it and these maps are sitting on said chaps own laptop...

Makes a difference worth having apparently, and I've priced up the parts to do it for under £200.

It's then a question of making it fit.

:-)

Even said mate who was running the unit and runs a tuned 106 GTI as his daily drive (1) and has that Skyline engined 200SX commented on how well mine went / handled.

Reply to
JackH

Fair enough. I'll bear it in mind, just in case.

That's where I've come a bit un-enthused in the past. There might be a bit more room to play with on the 306 than on my old 205. Well, maybe.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Okey dokey.

There is - seen pictures on the internet of a conversion, so it must be true. ;-)

Reply to
JackH