man i love the volvo S60 D5 :)

as my car isn't to well my dad kindly lent me his key to the 2003 Volvo S60 D5 he has on the drive :)

anyway was off to my cuz house to help him sort out his £500 surround amp and the drive in the S60 was sooo sweeeet! had R1 pumping some hip hop out on the way there through the sweet pro logic system which has to be one of the best in car radio's around that comes as standard!

the D5 is grunty and roars when you floor it, the sound is so deep and sweet sounding as the 5 cylinder 2.4 litre gets up a fair rate of knots with no effort...

on the way home i thought as it was quiet i'd test the handerling round this big roundabout called rettendon turnpike and i swung the beast round and managed to get a flciker from the traction control light :)

further down the road a crap 2CV doing about 50 was in my way up ahead so i drop it into 4th and rev it to about 3.5k RPM and change to 5th to use the torque and fly past with ease. i feel confortable and the car feels dead stable then a realise i'm doing 90mph in a 60mph limit! so i slow the beast down a bit and cruise it back home to my driveway slowly.

the volvo is a nice car in it own way and to my surprise handles really well, not as fun as the MK1 MR2 but as a relaxed cruiser that doesn't mind a bit of stick it's great. if i had to change cars i'd seriously consider a volvo i think...

Reply to
Vamp

so you buy the T5 - torque low down, power high up. Sorted.

Diesels are one big comprimise from a driving point of view and only make sense if economy is an issue for you. One day it might be for me, and then a Volvo / BMW / Merc diesel will replace whatever I'm driving at the time. Until then its petrol turbos, or V8 / V12 for me please.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Bring Other Sound Equipment

;-)

JF - still using HK Audio and loving every minute of it. Friday night - 4 bands - 300 bodies - meaty sound. Knackered but very satisfied. I never though a very very modest 1.2k could sound so good.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Heh - my rigs:

Church install - 4x Bose 802... (about to be replaced with a turbosound rig) Portable rig 1: 4x dB 412 bi amp powered 12+1" - does up to 200 people with

2 for monitors, 2 for mains. Portable rig 2: 2x Maritin F12, 2x JBL SRX4718, all macrotech powered (3xMA1200). Done >400 people gigs with this, once set it up in a pub so small it scared them by wheeling it in... Goes amazingly well for a small rig (fits in the Zafira) Desks: 2x 01V Mics: Loads of sennheiser / shure / superlux and an AKG "big drum set"
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Volvo think of everything....

It's quite a meaty strut brace tooo.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If the 405 is written off on the insurance, i'm gonna get another, probly a

1.9TD. They only have 92bhp (about the same as my 1.6i) but they have 200nm of torque, which is more than the 2.0 405 by a way.

And of course, it has to take a trip to Van Aaken for the 110bhp, and shedload more torque upgrade :)

Reply to
Dan405

Personally i dont think they're much of a comprimise, they just demand a different driving style. I would happily have another 205 Dturbo (if i could afford it i probably would get another one now and drop the XS). Obviously if you want a *quick* car petrol is the way forward, but if you want moderately good performance then theres no reason, IMHO, why a diesel should not surfice

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Cardigan and slippers... Jaguar... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Indeed - however the whole reason that modern diesels perform so well is by forced induction - the turbocharger. Best thing is that turbos have therefore become commonplace and reliable, so there's a lot more petrol turbo motors out there for those of us that want torque AND rpm.

Of course, my 2.0 with its light pressure turbo just acts like a bigger engine, no lag above 2000 rpm, pulls to the limiter, overtaking very easy in 3rd (20-95mph) or 4th (30-120mph) because of the big spread of power. Diesels have a narower band because of the lower max RPM so yes, they do have stonking 50-70 times, but anything over a wide spread and you change gear so many times, or run out of revs, or end up off boost.

And if I want to, I can keep it in the 4000-6000 range and drive like a complete lune....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If i was to get a 405 TD - where would i want to be changing up in the RPM's? Where do they make max power? About 4,000rpm?

Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

No mate that is pipe and slippers. And he can't have anything competing with the stink of his briar hence diesel is out. :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Isn't it more of a M(edium)PT? The NA 2 litre 20valve is 143bhp, the turbo

180bhp. I am sure 200+ would be attainable with chipping, but then that would make the 2.4T abit redundent...!

Tim.. (Has Focus but wants S60!)

Reply to
Tim..

Oh i know, and who wouldnt want both! I love to have a revvy car (XS= no torque, lots of revs), but i also enjoyed driving the TD (lots of torque, no revs). It may have been slightly slower on paper but it was perfectly possible to drive it as quickly.

Whereas my car has no torque so you have to drive it between 4000 and 7000 to get anywhere ;) One day i'll be able to afford torque and revs!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Pug TDs start tailing off about 4000, maybe a little less actually. I used to change up about 4000, although depending on the conditions sometime i went all the way to the worrying high value of 5000 (where the engine goes no more)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You must be thinking of a Rover old bean. Jaguars owners wear cashmere overcoats.

Reply to
Steve Firth

quite likely.... that should drop you back at around 2500 ready for another lurch to the next gear...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The idea of not ragging through to 6,500rpm scares me :) It better not be boring....

Although, once its been to Van Aaken it may be more fun! But mine may not be written off yet, local friendly mechanic is having a gander tmrw.

Reply to
Dan405

There's not a non-turbo version of that motor, the old 2.0 20V in the 850 was the older motor, not the new modular unit. Rica claim 210 for their chip on 98ron.

Engine is a short stroke version of the 2.3 which makes 250bhp, 109bhp/l, the 2.0 is running 180bhp stock (or 163 - 81.5bhp/l on some of the continental models and the C70) so 90bhp/l, the 2.4T makes 200 (83bhp/l) so yes, it's in between the boost of the 2.4 and the T5....

2.4 has a lot more torque than the 2.0.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

WOOO - chip a diesel, get more torque, narrower power band and even bigger lurches on the way through the gears...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Having had a poke on Van Aakens site, they can up the power from 92bhp to

110bhp, and the torque from 200nm to 240nm. And the torque is from about 1950rpm to 4000rpm, which is where the max power is as well. 240nm is a lot innit? Doesn't a Ti have that much as standard? And your Volly tim?
Reply to
Dan405