March (Micra) Superturbo has its first rolling road day!

WHAT A COOL DAY!!!!!!

I was invited by the Fiat Coupe club, to go along to one of their rolling road days, after having been spotted by one of their members after

happened :>

Anyway the day was cold and still, I arrived there at 9am to find a load of turbo Fiats and after a quick briefing the runs started.

I was number 19 in the queue, and at about 3.20 it was my turn. All day I had been getting asked what do I think it will do etc.. To which I had no idea, just that I hoped it would be around 140 bhp. Finally it was my turn, the car was driven onto the rollers and strapped down.

I had attached a 120mm PC fan to allow the intercooler to be cooled better, but we were still having problems with high intake temps due to the placment of the intake, so a secondary fan was installed that blew cool air onto the intake as well as the main fan which cooled the front.. (these were seperate to my little PC fan)

So the first power run took place at 1.2 bar :> the the supercharger engaged and boost climbed to 0.8 bar @ 2400 rpm, horsepower at this point was already 58 BHP, then the from 3600 rpm the turbo span up and the real fun began!

Final result @ 1.2 bar was 160 bhp.

A further few runs took place untill we went for 1.4 bar. And here are the final results..

POWER AT 1.4 BAR BOOST

171.8 BHP @ 5500 RPM 180 lb foot @ 4500 RPM

Then I did a freerun spool which peaked at 1.7 bar :>

192 lbfoot @ 4500 RPM I didnt get a top BHP figure but at this speed had 168 BHP. I think 5th injector is needed!!

Apart from this my fueling was SPOT ON, and the engine seemed in good shape. And I had no pinking at all.

What a cool day, I now have approx 220 bhp/ton and develop 185 bhp/litre. Pretty #### impressive by any means!!!

Ed

Reply to
Ed

happened :>

nice one Ed, thats one in the eye for the non believers then.

Reply to
Theo

Thanks, I have just been studying the graphs further, and I think that the guy had my car set to 5 cyl not 4cyl (most of the fiats there were 5cyl) so the rpm scale is not telling the truth. Im going to enquire, but all my graphs end at 5800 so that would make sense...

Ed

Reply to
Ed

D'oh!

Good work otherwise though!

Reply to
DervMan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMmicra.org.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Thems still impressive figures no less, for a shopping cart :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

happened :>

bah stats mean nothing, my '2 and your micra on the strip now :)

Reply to
Vamp

Bring it on ;)

Reply to
Ed

hehehe :) if the graph is wrong which I suspect it is, it wont affect the power readouts, just where they happened.

Seems my 200 bhp is getting close. If I can strengthen the headgasket, and then sort out fueling for 1.7 bar Ill be pretty close to 200 bhp :>

Ed

Reply to
Ed

My money would be on the Micra.

Twisty stuff with, say, the Stig at the wheel . . . hmmmm.

Would depend on the track. :)

Reply to
DervMan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

New stig, with classical, or old Stig with Cheesy listening?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yeah, the MR2 with Bros "When Will I Be Famous" and perhaps the Nissan March with, hmm, a soppy Robbie Williams track?

L)

Reply to
DervMan

None believers... Don't think there were any in here were there ?

Reply to
Lordy

You're making Matt's SAAB engine look a bit poor :P. ISTR that's 300 brake from 2 or 2.3litres. I expect there will be torque differences though.

Reply to
Doki

there's always the *anti* micra crew.

Reply to
Theo

In article , theo*+*@*+*letsblowitup*.*com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Oh, have they taken over from So Solid, now that most of them are doing time?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yea, me for a start. That's a seperate issue to believing power claims tho... :)

Reply to
Lordy

blazing squad wasnt it

Reply to
Theo

It won't affect the _torque_ figures, but it will affect the power figures, but you could recalulate the power pretty easily. Actually, if it was simply counting ignition cycles, then it will have measured too low an rpm (80% of actual), and your power figfures will be _higher_ than quoted by

25%!

Or you might already be there :-) In any case it's pretty impresive from a

1 litre lump !

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Me thinks the only way it can be decided which is better is to let some of the youngest people in here (i.e. us) drive them.

Preferably round a track....

With insurance :)

Reply to
Dan405